bidding hurdles

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by tartanhill, Aug 25, 2020.

1. tartanhill

tartanhill Well-Known Member

I just tried to sign up to bid at Aurea Numismatika Praha
    Auction 96 and was faced with this request:

Identity confirmation
    • Due to laws, everyone participated in auction has to proof his identity
    • Valid identity documents are:
      • scanned ID card
      • scanned passport
    • File must be in one of following formats: GIF, JPG, JPEG, PNG
    Upload ID proof
    • File must be in one of following formats: GIF, JPG, JPEG, PNG
    Upload proof **

Or fill informations in manually
    ID number
    Date of expiry
    Authority (issuer)
    ID proof changes will require additional approval from auction house. You will not be able to limit or attend auction until your new info is approved.

Has anyone run into such a request before? I guess I won't be bidding in this auction.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BasSWarwick

BasSWarwick Well-Known Member

Nothings easy anymore.

4. Co1ns

Co1ns Active Member

Having to prove your identity before entering into a financial contract online is pretty standard stuff I think.

They even give you the more secure option of just sending the key info rather than forcing photos like a broker, lender, lawyer or almost any other professional service would.

If anything, their requirements fall well short of standard AML/CTF KYC requirements.

5. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

I know I've had to provide references from dealers when registering for auctions, but I don't remember if I also had to provide copies of a driver's license or passport. It doesn't seem unreasonable to expect you to provide some evidence of who you are before an auctioneer trusts you to bid at their auctions and pay for anything you win. It's not the same as a straight retail sale.

Orfew likes this.
  6. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

I was shocked by the request for my ID when buying from an Italian auction house the first time.

I learned that Italy has tax laws that require proof either non-Italian citizenship, or Italian ID. Apparently at some time in the past some Italians would falsely claim to be foreign to skip on the taxes.

This dealer is Czech but it could be the same kind of setup.

Alegandron, Ryro and DonnaML like this.
  7. ycon

ycon Renaissance Man

This is fairly standard for foreign auction houses. I've had to do it at least a couple of times. I wouldn't be too worried about it, personally.

Orfew likes this.
  8. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Yes, and I backed out. There are very many auctions that do not have such a requirement. I deal with them.

Ajax, Alegandron and dougsmit like this.
  9. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

To be that’s too much invasion of privacy. Why doesn’t eBay require all users to upload an ID?

10. fomovore

fomovore Active Member

On two occasions I had to provide my ID for online purchases, I sent them a photo of my driver's license with the number and barcode fully or partially covered.
    I'm glad to provide references and my home address, but no way I'm giving anyone my full ID info or a photo of my passport.
    That's a ridiculous requirement IMO.

DonnaML likes this.
  11. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

I don't understand the mentality of a company that puts barriers in place to prevent customers from signing up and giving them money. Times are tough right now. People are going out of business. There's plenty more coins elsewhere.

DonnaML likes this.
  12. fomovore

fomovore Active Member

My impression was that the business has been booming lately :-?

13. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Stock market =/= booming economy.

Unless, of course, you're Costco, a grocery store, or Home Depot - those guys are doing just fine.

Restitutor likes this.
  14. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Not with auctioneers. In other areas this is standard procedure. If you will do this, be sure to delete the personal code from the scan, to prevent ID theft. You could contact the auctioneer and ask what personal info exactly they need and how they keep that info safe and when they will destroy it. Thats EU privacy law, so they should abide.

15. tartanhill

tartanhill Well-Known Member

And you can put me in that category.

16. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

I'm sure they wouldn't have these barriers if they weren't required to by law.

17. benhur767

benhur767 Sapere aude

Yes, I've run into requests like this with auctioneers and complied with them. Got signed up no problem.

18. Alwin

Alwin Well-Known Member

Idem

19. Restitutor

Restitutor Well-Known Member

And coin auction houses :hilarious:

fomovore likes this.
  20. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I am careful about not providing too much information online, no matter who the dealer/agency is. For example, I don't do online banking. Therefore I would be a bad fit for the OP's auction house.

21. fomovore

fomovore Active Member

Agree, but bullion shot up and the recent coin auction prices/activity were higher than before if I'm not mistaken.
    Sorry for the offtopic everyone.

Draft saved Draft deleted