Bid Sniping

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Duke Kavanaugh, Feb 24, 2012.

1. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

Ah yes, but, is it an inny or an outie? I think it's an important distinction to make. I say we have a discussion on it. It would be just as informative and interesting as the current one.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. thecoinlover

thecoinlover Banned

Wow.

4. krispy

krispy krispy

Nah, I'll leave that for the YNs. I win too many contests and auctions with my techniques as it is. LOL!

So how about we introduce a snipe to your barn yard buddies...

[​IMG]

5. krispy

krispy krispy

The only distinction to make is the number of times TCG has failed to dispute anything reasonably without turning immediately to insults when challenged. Yes, we have his opinions aplenty but what comes out is only equivalent to the diet he intakes.

6. vibr0nic

vibr0nic New Member

We're talking about "bid sniping" and the origins of that term.

Again, people were "bid sniping" AND CALLING IT "bid sniping" BEFORE automated software existed. Get it? The term "bid sniping" did not originate with software. It originated when people were sending in bids at the last possible moment manually. Now software has automated it.

Since you have declared Wikipedia as an unreliable source to contradict your claims (which is actually quite laughable on a non-controversial topic like this, but whatever), then maybe this eBay guide will suffice - http://reviews.ebay.com/Sniping-Is-it-Good-Strategy-for-Winning-Auctions?ugid=10000000001548836

It says:

"The Sniper
    Whether you snipe by physically waiting until the last minute, or use a sniping service or system, you still need to decide what your limit bid will be."

Oh, so there ARE different ways to snipe - manually/physically or with software/service. Thanks eBay. Case CLOSED.

7. krispy

krispy krispy

eBay is but one interpretation and a company suited to defining its own business policy, not defining terms applicable to the greater online auctioning options. Whether bid sniping existed in common lingo before the advent of bid sniping software doesn't support how most on this thread are applying it. The same term, "bid sniping" cannot be both applied to physically and automated bid activity, not when physical actions cannot be performed in the final second of an auction the way automated systems can be... as if eBay were an end all be all authority on policy and definitions! Ha! That's a laugh considering the typical rants most of these same people have to say about eBay. :rolleyes:

8. Wow, didn't this turn into quite the interesting thread. I hope everyone can get along after this. By the way, Duke, I use Gixen. If I knew it was going to come to this I would have said it sooner. :rolleyes:

9. krispy

krispy krispy

Why on earth would people not get along after having a discussion? This is not about taking sides and declaring one another enemies forevermore.

Whether a discussion arose here or not, such discussion never limited your opportunity to contribute, which (if any) bid sniping service or software you may now use or have ever used.

10. Way to go, you over analysed my sarcasm. :D

11. krispy

krispy krispy

Sorry, Log Potato, I didn't detect the sarcasm you meant to communicate in the previous post.

If I can analyze something for you though, it would be to share the difference in your spelling of: analysed vs. analyzed, for which British English and American English, for instance, differ. ;)

12. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

You can slice it any way you want ~ but ~ my last bid at 2 to 3 seconds - you cannot react to. You either have a higher automated bid set or you do not. Your automated bid is no different than my manual bid when you are down to the last couple of seconds. That is what sniping is - swooping in at the last second or two with your maximum bid to try to win an auction without a prolonged bidding war.

13. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Gavelsnipe.com works with E-Bay and Heritage (FREE).

Now how do I get the time of my life back that I spent reading this ridiculous thread?

14. krispy

krispy krispy

I thank you for having read the thread. I've read many of your own long winded and hard fought battle threads as well. I've spent plenty of time reading those, if not even more time that you may have just spent here reading this one. It's not a waste of time trying to see both sides of debates even if you are not a participant. Everyone need not always agree and I choose to stand my ground on this topic where I know my definition holds, as explained previously. Thank you for reading through some or all of this thread. I'm sure I will read plenty of other forums with many points of view from you and others in the future. :thumb:

15. krispy

krispy krispy

It's not sliced any other way than once into half, manual (physically) vs automated (bid sniped). In the context of an online auction, this is what bid sniping is. Exploiting the time frame where manual input of bids cannot be effective. Again, defining this is not about winning bids, that has already been eliminated from what we are discussing. A highest bid, no matter when it is placed can always beat a "bid snipe" if the sniped bid is not high enough to also be the highest bidder.

16. vibr0nic

vibr0nic New Member

Just shocking. Wikipedia as a source isn't good enough. eBay as a source isnt good enough. Probably nothing will be good enough. Troll on.

17. krispy

krispy krispy

As a new member to this forum you're hardly in a qualified position to suggest who is a troll. Nor are you in much position of limited forum reputation here, to garner that anyone here might accept your comments based on such a slim forum prescience. One might easily say the same thing about someone like yourself being a troll who has only just appeared here publicly as forum trolls are want to do. What with your less than ten posts on this greater forum, as of post #95 in this thread putting you up to an outstanding post count of 7, a few of which reside here on this topic alone, it's not saying a whole lot for who or what you may be just yet... particularly if your frustration over this discussion has already got you insulting others by calling them trolls. If you can't understand why I don't agree with you that Wikipedia and eBay are acceptable authorities on defining these term being discussed here then you are probably in for a lot more shocks in the great big world if you place so much belief in the validity in the information found on those sites. At best, they are a starting point, but by no means an end answer to the conversation.

Apart from all of this, from my experience reading threads on this forum, anytime eBay even remotely enters the equation, there is no such thing as a brief discussion nor level agreement amongst people having the discussion.

By the way, Welcome to CoinTalk.

18. vibr0nic

vibr0nic New Member

You're right, I don't post here much. I just found your post to be so shockingly wrong, I responded to you.

Regarding your post count, just because someone says a lot does not mean they have something to say, nor does it mean they have credibility. If you want to let that little post number inflate your ego, go ahead - it's meaningless to me.

I don't even know why I am still responding here to such nonsense. This is hilarious. Just believe what you want to believe if it makes you happy, k, bud? OK. No need to respond. We can drop it.

19. krispy

krispy krispy

I think we've been managing the discussion quite well so far without you adding insults to others.

20. TheCoinGeezer

TheCoinGeezer Senex Bombulum

You're a marvel of self delusion and hypocrisy, Krispy old top.
    You've gone on at length with your opinion of what constitutes sniping and what doesn't, yet you have failed to convince anyone.
    A lesser man would have given up and admitted he may be wrong, given the overwhelming amount of evidence against your theory.

21. krispy

krispy krispy

There's been no sufficient evidence posted that I couldn't counter with my definition of what bid sniping means. Furthermore, you among them all provided the least of any contributions worthy of this discussion.

Draft saved Draft deleted