Bid Blocking Software used on eBay!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by huntsman53, Dec 18, 2008.

1. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

Well C.T. Folks, if things weren't bad enough at times with eBay issues, your going to love hearing this! I am posting this information since you may fall a victim to this while bidding on coins, other collectibles or just about anything that you want but someone else wants it even more.

Today I tried to bid on a slightly used Ipod Nano with lots of accessories for my daughter's Birthday! The bid price ($70) was the same as the opening price right up until the last 60 seconds of the Auction. I placed a bid of $110.97 as I was almost certain that I would outbid any last minute bidders for it and I had lost out on two in the previous two days. I got the "Confirm" page and button as always and with about 32 seconds left on the Auction, I clicked on the button to confirm. Well, there was about a 3 1/2" by 3 1/2" screen popped saying that it was loading with a time (clock) Rose in the middle that was spinning clockwise. The screen stayed on my PC screen through the remainder of the Auction and about 5 seconds after the end it totally cleared. I hit the back arrow on the browser to find that my bid never went through and the item sold for the same opening bid. I was really miffed to say the least because I spent many hours checking out the Auctions for the right Ipod Nano, taking into consideration, the Seller's Feedback rating, Feedback and what came with the item as well as babysitting the Auction until the end. I have only had the same thing happen a couple of other times and never really though much of it until today and surmised that this had to be some for of Bid Blocking (hijacking) Software. I reported this infraction to the Seller, to eBay's Research and Enforcement Division and to an eBay Customer Rep. via phone. They are checking into it and I hope they find and nail the B$#**&%%!!!!!! If you get hijacked in the same manner while bidding on an item on eBay, please report it.

Frank

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mr. Coin Lover

Mr. Coin Lover Supporter**

Never heard of this before. Glad you reported it. I sure hpope you let us know what the people at ebay have to say about it.

4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Wow, really bad form Frank. Glad you reported them.....

5. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

That's a new one on me. I've never heard of bid blocking software. So somehow a bidder can bid the opening amount and block anyone else from bidding. I cannot imagine how that would work but I don't doubt it could be done.

I just bid on two items that have no other bids and both auctions close in an hour or so. I could use bid blocking software myself right now. ;)

6. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

Hobo,

Have you ever noticed when hitting the back arrow on your browser to exit an Auction on eBay to look at other items, that something will trigger your printer to print or a pop-up will come out of nowhere? Well, this Bid Blocking Software is more than likely, pretty much like the files, Worms or Spyware that does the above. Although eBay will not admit it, people have hacked them and put these files, Worms or Spyware into their' system to see what you and others are doing on eBay. Also, doesn't it seem funny that every time you bid on and win an item on eBay then pay for it via PayPal, that within a day or so you get several or more Phishing emails that look like they came from eBay or from PayPal notifying you that your account has been temporary suspended or something else has happened that requires you to click on the link in the email which appears to go to their' website, then they want you to log on using your Password. These emails are being generated because the files, Worms or Spyware has pulled your email information because you completed a transaction. Scary huh!!!

Frank

7. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Frank,

What are you using for virus, phishing, and spyware blocking? What ever it is, you need to update, replace or start using something.

8. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

rlm,

I used to have AVG and AOL's Anti-Spyware program! I now have Panda AntiVirus 2009, Adaware, RegCure and still have AOL's Anti-Spyware. There is very little else I could get that would work any better than these, much less afford! I know that McAfee won't find even a fraction of what AVG Free Anti-Virus will find and Norton is great but it conflicts with just about everything you have on your computer (at least mine anyways) and is see's many files for these programs as threats!

Frank

9. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

I thought adaware was spyware disguised as antivirus. Spysweeper has worked well for me.

10. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Uh....Frank.
    Go and delete all of those. All you need is one virus scanner, and one to watch for Spyware.
    I would suggest AVG and Windows Defender.

BTW--AnitiVirus2009 is a scam--it has been keeping us busy for a few weeks now cleaning off computers that got it.
    Good luck getting it off. Many of the computers have to be totally wiped off and started new.

Adware is a piece of junk.

Speedy

11. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

You have 2 choices;
    1. Update or replace your spyware/virus program. If what you are saying really happened (the bid blocking intrusion), then you protection is not working. That being said, it seems rather odd that someone/something can find that you are about to bid on something and immediately mess up your computer, but not bother anything else.
    2. You have a problem inherent to your computer and the most likely cause I can think of for that is you spyware/virus programs or a pop-up blocker. Just for grins, you might try firefox if you are not a,ready using it.

12. Pocket Change

Pocket Change Coin Collector

Yes, the problem is definitely on your end. Getting a "blocker" as you describe would mean that e-bay itself has been hacked. Possible, but unlikely.

And if that's the case, we should be reading about it in Yahoo! news pretty soon.

Much more likely you've "caught" something.

13. johnny54321

johnny54321 aspiring numismatist

speaking of ebay, it suddenly started not working right at all for me. Just today, Im getting all these weird screens that are difficult to navigate when I go into "my ebay". Anyone else experiencing this right now?

14. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

If this can actually happen it will be yet another thorn in the SELLER'S side. Ebay wouldn't like it too much either as it would cut into their fee profits.

Ain't technology grand?

15. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Is is working fine for me, just my bidding was lacking a lot. However, they have multiple hubs so Mine could be working fine and yours not at all.

16. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

I really don't know what else I can do! I reformatted the hard drive about seven times* and none of my original files are on the computer. *This was done because I thought something went wrong in loading the original software package on it since I could not get it to re-establish a connection with my DSL modem. Come to find out, the modem apparently went bad somewhere in the process and AT&T had to send me a new one. I have upgraded nearly every driver on the PC including a new Bios upgrade, went from Windows XP (SP1) to Windows XP (SP2) and now to Windows XP (SP3), upgraded to Internet Explorer 7.0, upgraded to AOL 9.1 (although I have both AT&T DSL and AOL) and loaded and/or ran most Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware programs available on it. Short of unleashing a Jedi-Knight, Obi Wan Kenobi and Master Yoda on it, I don't know what else that can be done except trash the damn thing!

Frank

17. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I am far from a computer expert, but it almost sounds to me like you are running too much. On my old computer (mostly before Norton came out with there stripped version), my computer would just stop while it was adjusting files. Sometimes this would happen often for a few seconds but occasionally, it would take minutes to come back to me. Just updating to the new Norton just about eliminated this. I have no idea what you are using your computer for, but if you are only on eBay, CT, and such, there are people who use none of the anti- programs.

18. johnny54321

johnny54321 aspiring numismatist

there was an issue with my browser excepting cookies I found out.
    thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted