Bicentennial quarters in 2026

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by bugo, Jul 24, 2013.

1. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

2026 will be the sestercentennial for the USA. I wonder if the bicentennial 1976 quarters (and halves and dollars) will go up in value? I like the bicentennial designs, and even though there were a lot of them made they were only made for 2 years and are unusual enough that you don't see them every day but they pop up every now and then. I keep every bicey that I find, and have quite a few quarters and a couple of halves that I've found in circulation. I have a bicey dollar that I had to get off of ebay because I don't expect to find one in pocket change any time soon. Will their value increase, even if only by a small amount?

Rickipedia likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Doug21

Doug21 Coin Hoarder

not enough increase potential to hold onto them, much like holding onto $2 bills from 1976, close to 40 years ago and not worth more than $2 to most collectors/ dealers.

horrible investment

4. enochian

enochian silver eater

if you wabt to invest in them go for the 40% silver proofs

or if you want to keep collecting this type go to your bank a get a roll of halfs or quarters i found atleast 1 in each roll sometimes 3

5. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

The mintage was 1.6 billion (25c) and these have never circulated well because people save them. Right now about 30% of mintage is in circulation but it has been as low as 10%. This means attrition will be relatively low and will remain low until '26.

With so large a number it seems highly improbable that a general increase in price can possibly occur. There may be special offers to pay $16 per roll or something but buyers will get all they need and the price won't last. This being said there may well be opportunity in the Gems and varieties. Few advanced collectors take these coins seriously and most don't even have one in their US type set collections. Anything that directs attention to these coins might cause enoygh interest that high grade, full drum, Gem, or varieties get a lot more attention and some values skyrocket. Would be speculators might still want to avoid these because the rarities are difficult to locate and these coins were very well made making Gems relatively common.

The best coins are found in the 1976 mint set.

green18 likes this.
  6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

And even if they did go up for 2026, expect them to go back down for 2027.

bugo likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted