Bicentennial Quarter Stuck in Something for 30 years

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by NewCollectorRick, Aug 6, 2017.

1. NewCollectorRick

NewCollectorRick Active Member

So I get change back from dunkin and this ugly quarter feels real sharp and I see the almost proof like shine on some spots. How bad is the pmd? And does anyone have any idea what it would grade at in this condition? View attachment 660581 View attachment 660582 View attachment 660583 View attachment 660584 View attachment 660585 View attachment 660586 View attachment 660588 View attachment 660589 View attachment 660590 View attachment 660591 Edges are like a 2017 nice and crisp. The whole thing is just crisp.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NewCollectorRick

After seeing my pics and checking mint mark I think I should have gone to errors. Tell me if I'm wrong but looks like DDO FS-102

4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

How do you know it was stuck in something "for 30 years" if you just got it?

Looks like typical gunk to me, and a "spender" coin worth face value, unless it's some special FS variety someone will pay you you a billion zillion dollars for (don't hold your breath!)

In which case you'll want to treat it with acetone.

I'll let someone else confirm or deny your DDO hunch- that's not my arena.

To me personally, it's a 25-cent item.

Why two threads? Technical difficulties?

5. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

think you should take a better look, i see damage, wear and gunk, an not even comparable to a 2017 coin.... spender in book..

6. NewCollectorRick

I see all the gunk too. I was saying there are a few areas where you can really see the luster with it in hand. Pics don't show anything but the junk. I was kind of joking about it being stuck in Something for 30 years. The edge is still crisp. Its like a lot of the 1973 pennies how they have that deep edge.
    2 threads was purely accidental.

7. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I've had the forum or my hardware freeze up and cause double- and triple-posts. No double threads ... yet.

Yes, that was probably a fairly well struck piece but the subsequent circulation and the gunk (and the fact that Bicentennial quarters are extremely common in the first place) are all factors that reduce that piece to a face-value "spender".

Keep lookin', though. Perhaps being so observant will bring you a good find one day.

NewCollectorRick likes this.
  8. NewCollectorRick

9. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

Hummmmmm. I think that is a booger and I would grade it YUCK.

10. NewCollectorRick

I didn't mean grade with the junk. This thread got a little twisted. I just meant the defined drum and things that are hard to find in ms state. The strike being nice is all I was referring too. Its definitely a booger and a half.

Draft saved Draft deleted