Bicentennial Kennedy half.

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Chip Kirkpatrick, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

If there's something raised, then it's clear glue,
    in all probability.

R_rabbit likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. R_rabbit

R_rabbit Well-Known Member

:)
    So, die crack? Stain? Retained cud?
    Imho, I think we need better pictures with a white light and white paper background. To help give you a better determination.
    The background and tone in the pictures makes it difficult to determine.

4. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

A soak in acetone would probably also answer the question. After taking a second look I can see how it might be glue.

Spark1951 and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  5. Chip Kirkpatrick

Chip Kirkpatrick Well-Known Member

I’m not using a filter. Not sure why the coloration is this. Sometimes I do filter it to a more silver tone but it seems to distort the photo. Sorry ‘bout that.

Tlberg likes this.
  6. Chip Kirkpatrick

Ok what do I need to do? Soak in acetone? How long?

The photo was taken with a white paper plate for background. 2 gooseneck lamps over it. How can I improve it?

7. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Soak it for about 5 min Imo the acetone will not hurt the coin. Then nudge the raised area with a rose thorn or toothpick. Don't ever get roudy with the thorn or toothpick. Then if it moves soak it till the raised area comes completely off the coin. If it is solid after 5 minutes then I would suspect it to be a die crack.
    Some glue is more stubborn than others.

8. Chip Kirkpatrick

I did not clean it until requested ( after the photos) and then just a quick brush with a soft toothbrush and Dawn detergent.

9. Pickin and Grinin

Acetone can be gotten at any hardware store.

10. Tlberg

Tlberg Well-Known Member

oh - idk dude - the reverse looks ok but not even the plate does in the obverse photos. White balance maybe?

11. Tlberg

Tlberg Well-Known Member

@Chip Kirkpatrick - do you have florescent bulbs in the lights? That might be the problem - outside pics on the new thread look good.

12. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

...awaiting acetone soak results...Spark

13. Chip Kirkpatrick

A3757A95-66E5-4F61-A5C3-DECEA6D59C07.jpeg 6B341091-8A8A-4D75-B7C2-610598F4DF53.jpeg 1DF2311F-FC00-453B-9C9A-171C28F50C5B.jpeg 3B870C71-204D-4EFF-9F8A-0439C4F4FADC.jpeg

Thought I had posted these

14. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

light bulbs can have different "colors"
    Flourescent bulbs can flicker.
    LEDs can also be in different colors. If you ever see "Cool" color then it's a shade of blue. Versus others that can be more yellow cast. If you have different ones then it creates problems with the camera's white balance.

If you have other surfaces of other colors around you can be getting color casting - light/color reflection. If you ever see ppl wearing some bright green shirt in a photo on a really bright day have green skin; that would be an example.

https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/white-balance.htm

So you have to be aware of not just your white plate, which is good, but of the light bulbs, angle of light to the object and the immediate surrounding area.

15. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

@Clawcoins ...great info!...So, if this post #32 is after an acetone treatment, then the glue issue should be dispensed with...and a die crack appears to remain along with an associated retained cud, maybe.

That's what I see. Not so sure that what I see is what I get.

Anyone else want to chime in?...Spark

Tlberg likes this.
  16. Pickin and Grinin

Top of the head is nothing but a stain
    As for the circular area, I think it is a solder job.
    It doesn't look like it left the mint that way.

Cool collar clash though.

Draft saved Draft deleted