Bi-centennial s-proof, mintmark?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by expat, Apr 1, 2020.

1. expat

expat Well-Known Member

In the proof set pictured below, on the obverse of the Kennedy half, it appears that the S mintmark is stamped above something else. What it is i can't make out but perhaps one of you have come across it before.
    20200401_152414.jpg 20200401_144005.jpg

capthank and David Betts like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Might just be a spot on the coin by the mint mark.

4. David Betts

David Betts Well-Known Member

It is peculiar I blew up 8x all I have handy. My guess would be perhaps a cud or chip then stamped to make a weird mintmark. But no means in my wheel house! I'm sure Paddyman and/or others will nail this down and quick! Good luck and thanks for sharing

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@expat @David Betts

I'm inclined to agree with John. I just looked at the two sets I have, and the mintmark on both Kennedys are perfectly struck into the die by hand, of course!
    ~ Chris

David Betts and capthank like this.
  6. expat

expat Well-Known Member

I agree there is a spot near the mintmark, but it is the large, indented shape under the S that i am enquiring about. I have another set as well and there is no indented shape under the S on the other one.

David Betts and capthank like this.
  7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The image is far too small for me to see it well. Keep in mind that the mintmark was hand-punched into the die, and if it was initially placed incorrectly, there would be a slight depression on the die. This would create a raised mark on the coin. But, this is not the case on your coin. I can't think of anything that would cause this sort of depression on a proof coin. ~ Chris

8. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Partial grease filled?

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Looks like a small die chip to me. A cud would be on the rim.

10. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

It's interesting, I would like to see a photo from directly above, kind of a pain with out a stable camera. The top of the S is weak in the photos. Maybe a slightly filled die?

11. expat

expat Well-Known Member

I have tried different lighting and camera angles and it still looks like either a poor die or doubled die. What i don't get, it's a proof, don't they normally try to achieve almost perfection
    20200402_154911.jpg 20200402_145606.jpg 20200402_154203.jpg

12. expat

expat Well-Known Member

About as close up as i can get 20200402_174213.jpg

13. expat

expat Well-Known Member

any more thoughts after the new pics?

14. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It's too dark to really see.

15. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member