Beware the cost of shipping

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Valentinian, Feb 3, 2022.

1. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

When I buy I am usually careful to check the cost of shipping in advance. I made a mistake by not asking for a particular cost in advance from Tauler & Fau. The auction terms read only "Insurance and shipping costs will be paid by the buyer." In their Feb. 1, 2022, auction I won only one coin which hammered at 100 euros. I was surprised to get an invoice with 39.99 euros for shipping. I protested via email that 39.99 euros was remarkably high and requested a lower cost. They wrote back saying that shipping costs for them had gone up and that was their charge for shipping. I wrote a second time listing five European firms I have bought from recently and their cost for shipping, none of which were close to that high. I suggested they might even use regular mail and I would take the risk. They wrote back saying that with envelopes, labor, and DHL costs they did not make a profit from their charge and it was 39.99 euros. I paid.

I paid, but I am not happy about it. Had I bought 2000 euros worth of coins, 40 euros for shipping would be minimal. When I buy a coin worth 100 euros + 18%, 40 euros for shipping is an unwelcome surprise.

Be careful to check shipping costs in advance and be wary of wording that fails to mention a particular amount.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. nerosmyfavorite68

nerosmyfavorite68 Well-Known Member

Wow. I guess it varies by country... My numiscorner (only foreign buy lately) package was very modestly priced and super fast. It was also via the post office.

benhur767 likes this.
  4. Iepto

Iepto Active Member

DHL frequently seems to involve an exorbitant shipping cost. The local post always seems to be cheapest, with fedex falling somewhere in the middle.

benhur767 likes this.
  5. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

6. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Simple tracked mail usually works for me. Though more expensive coins from Europe have arrived by DHL on several occasions.

7. Heliodromus

Heliodromus Well-Known Member

I clicked "like", but I don't like it. Thanks for the heads-up!

sky92880 and benhur767 like this.
  8. benhur767

benhur767 Sapere aude

Uggh, I bought from them as well, and my total is also fairly modest. I haven't even looked at the invoice yet (yes, I know — sometimes I put it off for a little while). I have noticed that shipping by DHL is the most expensive, and I've been hit with import duties as well. Naumann ships DHL also, I think. So I'm not too surprised.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2022
    svessien and DonnaML like this.
  9. svessien

svessien Senior Member

I try to avoid firms that use DHL, as it’s expensive, they have taken upon themselves to be tax collectors, and the service isn’t good. Found several envelopes in my open mailbox, for example.
    Some auction houses, and especially German ones, also have far too high S&H cost, as you experienced Valentinian. They immediately go on my personal blacklist. BAC and Munzzentrum Rheinland are among them.

10. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

I had a similar experience with TyF. Actually, I (perhaps thankfully) didn't win the coin, but only because while digging through their terms I found the shipping charges and adjusted my bid accordingly and on a coin I valued at about 150 euros, my bid just wasn't competitive when I factored in "overage" shipping costs.

Honestly I would be completely fine with an option for uninsured shipping on low value coins using the same cheap method a dealer I occasionally purchase from in Spain uses which costs a whopping 6 euros, and includes tracking to the Spanish exchange office, since USPS doesn't track Correos packages within the US. It always takes under 14 days total and I've never had any issues getting those packages in the US.

11. Ignoramus Maximus

Ignoramus Maximus Nomen non est omen.

Shipping costs can be disproportionately high, especially when buying for a moderate amount. Sadly, for some firms, it's part of their business model.

My most extreme experience was with Heritage. I bought a single coin in one of their auctions. The coin hammered for 110 US. 'Shipping and handling' charges were a whopping 120 US or thereabouts. When I sent an email pointing out that this was extravagant and way more than shipping could reasonably cost them, they 'generously' lowered the S&H to 90 US, without revealing the actual cost of shipping. By that time I was thoroughly disgusted by the firm that I felt like canceling the transaction, screw the consequences. The only reason I eventually did pay (albeit reluctantly) was that I didn't want to tarnish my reputation with other dealers. (I assume firms cooperate across the board with black lists and reliability ratings. Why else would they ask for references when you sign up?).
    But I will never from them again.

I'm happy to pay my 20% commission for the effort an auction house puts in, but in my eyes, anyone who charges additional (and imaginary) 'handling' fees is not a numismatist, but someone who's just after your money by all available means.

12. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Sure seems like every week we have some new thread in regards to something wrong with these overseas auction houses & it ends up becoming an ongoing thread.

If it's such an issue, just stop buying from there period, especially if you are American. I don't participate in them for the very reasons these threads come up, hidden fees, high shipping, missing packages, duties, and so on. I don't think any coin is worth it if you're going to have issues of one sort or another dealing with these firms.

I find many seem to be crooked in some form or another.

Indeed.

13. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Quite a few Australian coins I'm looking for bear the same problem. A One Penny coin from Australia listing for $5.00 asked for $26.00 shipping. The same coin from a different Australian dealer asked less than $3.00. I'm not sure how they are shipping but I certainly will not pay $26.00. My patience has paid off and that's the key, not getting overwhelmed and wanting that coin so badly you are willing to pay anything to get it. Someone is making money off shipping but not off me.

Theodosius likes this.
  14. Dafydd

Dafydd Well-Known Member

I bought a coin last week from a Spanish dealer registered with MA and it turned up today in the regular mail at a cost of approximately $8.00.
    The coin was approximately $180.00.
    No drama, no customs duty.

Theodosius likes this.
  15. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

This is why I don't buy from European auction houses. There are plenty of coins I'd love to bid on/buy. Especially in the lower ranged Savoca auctions. But after buyers fees and shipping, the cheap coin I liked would have doubled or tripled in cost. I can't afford to buy enough to make the shipping costs break down reasonably. It's a total bummer.

Theodosius and DonnaML like this.
  16. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Oh, for the days when one could, if willing to wait a long time, opt for inexpensive shipping that actually traveled by ship! Given how long it often takes for coins to arrive from Europe anyway, I'm sure a lot of people would still opt for that if it were available.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  17. furryfrog02

If it were affordable, I would give it a try! Turning a $20 coin into a $60 coin after buyer fee and crazy shipping is not feasable (or smart!) for me.

Jim Dale, Theodosius and Mat like this.
  18. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

So true, that $60 could be an even better coin from a U.S. or Canadian Seller.:cool:

Jim Dale and furryfrog02 like this.
  19. furryfrog02

Or like 3 different $20 coins that I don't have examples of :p
    But yes, I am on a very fixed budget and need to get the most bang for my buck. Spending a butt-load on shipping is not the way.

Cliff Reuter and Jim Dale like this.
  20. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Same problems here in the good old USA, just closer to home. USPS has applied for a significant raise in postage and handling fees. I can't wait to pay more can you, duh!

Jim Dale likes this.
  21. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

Shipping abroad from the US is getting very expensive. The same 1oz bubble mailer that cost less than $3 to send via USPS not so many years ago is now $15 to $18 depending on destination. Priority mail starts at $42.

Draft saved Draft deleted