Beware of weaponized grapes

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ValiantKnight, May 24, 2016.

1. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    (click photo to enlarge)

Added another coin to my early Islamic collection. if you don't know (or have forgotten), I am acquiring coins from the early caliphates (Rashidun, Umayyad, Abbasid). I am not too picky with regards to which rulers or regions; as long the coin is early Islamic and doesn't look like it went through a blender, run over a few times, etc. then I will most likely be interested. This is my second dirham in my collection, and my first dirham of the Umayyad Caliphate. The small spots of hard sand/dirt on the obverse have since been removed.

Some basic info:
    • This particular example is a silver dirham of the Umayyad era (661-750 AD). It is 27 mm wide.
    • It does not make reference to the reigning caliph, but it does have a date, AH 102, dating approximately to 720-721 AD, the beginning of the reign of Yazīd ibn Abd al-Malik (Yazid II). AH stands for Anno Hegirae, Latin for "in the year of the Hijra", the Hijra being the event in 622 AD when the Prophet Muhammad and his followers traveled to the city of Medina, a very important event in Islamic history.
    • Never eat with Yazid II! According to a story, while eating with a slave girl of his, he threw a grape into her mouth, she choked on it and died. So, yeah....(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yazid_II - short read I promise!)
    • Mint city is Wasit, in modern-day Iraq.
    • Islamic coins of this time period reflected the iconoclasm the Muslims practiced; no pictures or images were to be represented on Islamic coins (sorry @stevex6!). Before, the Muslims still struck their own coins but the styles were directly based on Byzantine and Sassanian coinage.
    • By the time this coin was struck, the caliphate had just completed its conquest of the Visigothic Kingdom in Hispania, and by then had stretched from the Iberian Peninsula to what is now Pakistan. The Umayyad Caliphate was the largest empire in history up to that point.
    • The Umayyad administration favored Arab Muslims over more recent, non-Arab converts to Islam. This contributed to dissatisfaction and tension in the caliphate, and eventually to open revolt in the form of the Abbasid Revolution which drove out the Umayyads (they stayed on in Hispania, however, ruling the Emirate of Cordoba).
    • In the obverse center it says: "There is no God but Allah. He has no equal."
    Obverse margins: In the name of God. This Dirham was struck in Wasit in the year two and one hundred (AH 102)

Reverse center: God is One God. The eternal and indivisible, who has not begotten, and has not been begotten and never is there His equal

Reverse margins: Muhammad is the messenger of God. He sent him with guidance and the true religion to reveal it to all religions even if the polytheists abhor it

Umayyad Caliphate and its expansion:

[​IMG]
    (dark red/brown: expansion under Muhammad, 622-632; orange: additions during the Patriarchal [Rashidun] Caliphate, 632-661; ivory: additions during the Umayyad Caliphate, 661-750)

(imformative link on early Islamic coinage: http://www.coinweek.com/ancient-coins/coinage-first-caliphate/)

Hopefully you have enjoyed my new coin and post, even if all this might not exactly be your sort of thing.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

very attractive coin VK, nice toning. this isn't exactly my "thing", but getting Islamic coin of this type is high on my list.

nice write up as usual!

4. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

That reverse margin legend is great! "Even if they abhor it"

5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Loved the writeup!

I'm not particularly interested in this era of coins, mostly due to them having only Islamic script, but it looks like a nice example of the type and I'm always happy to read your fun and educational writeups :)

Mickey in PDX likes this.
  6. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

Damn, death by grape! Not a good way to go.

7. 4to2centBC

4to2centBC Well-Known Member

I had a very nice dirham (stolen unfortunately) that I purchased as a representative for the geography and period. Since I don't read the language, and they bear no artwork, they only have historic value to me. What I did not know, but have learned recently, is that these (circa 800-1000) turn up quite often in Viking era hoards. So do the weights and scales used in the caliphate. Viking graves often contain weights and/or balancing scales. Many of these are either imported from the area or derivative of the type, but locally produced. Since the Vikings were traders, symbols of far flung cultures and the symbols of trade were a sign of a sophisticated trader/warrior. Dirhams were very popular.

I like the fact that yours is toned nicely along the rim. Mine is/was colorless

al-walid.jpg

Silver dirhem, Walker BMC p. 192, 533; Album 128, EF, Wasit, Iraq mint , weight 2.909g, maximum diameter 26.5mm, die axis 0o, 91 AH, 710 A.D.;

Obverse Kufic inscription: There is no god except Allah / He is alone / He has no equal (in center); In the name of Allah this dirhem was struck at Wasit in year 91;

Reverse Kufic: Allah is one, Allah is eternal, He begets not neither is he begotten (in center); Muhammad is the messenger of God, He sent him with guidance and the true religion to reveal it to all religions even if the polytheists abhor it (in margin);

Al-Walid I (705-715 AD) (b 668 - d 715 AD) began the Islamic conquests and took the early Islamic empire to its farthest extents - from the Iberian Peninsula to India. He reconquered parts of Egypt from the Byzantine Empire and moved on into Carthage and across to the west of North Africa. Then, in 711, Muslim armies crossed the Strait of Gibraltar and began to conquer the Iberian Peninsula.

His reign is considered as the apex of Islamic power

dlhill132, TIF, stevex6 and 3 others like this.
  8. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

VK, that is a nice coin made even better by the excellent writeup. Thanks!

Mikey Zee and Alegandron like this.
  9. ValiantKnight

Great post and cool coin (too bad about the stolen one though), thanks for sharing. Same here, my interest in these is mostly historical.

Thanks everyone for commenting!

10. jackhd

jackhd Active Member

VK - Thanks for an enlightening and entertaining post. I don't (as yet) have an Islamic example in my World collection. As mentioned by others, not being able to read the engravings, makes it difficult to appreciate. That also makes me a perfect target for a fake.

You've kindled my interest. I'm going to look for a reasonably priced silver example. Thanks for the motivation. Jack

11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I bought mine as a coin of Harun al Rashid of 1001 Nights fame and friend of Charlemagne but it turns out just to be a Bagdad 801 AD which is as close as we get but still disappointing.
    ow9100bb2514.jpg

ValiantKnight, dlhill132, TIF and 2 others like this.
  12. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Wonderful coin and writeup!!!

I haven't yet explored this particular area, but I LOVE the coin!!!

Congrats @ValiantKnight !!!!

13. jackhd

jackhd Active Member

Doug - That's a GREAT coin! I understand being disappointed with the attribution, but you have an amazing consolation prize. It's pretty hard to be disappointed in a coin of that condition, from the year 801 AD! Thanks for sharing it! Jack

14. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Sweet OP-score, Jango ... congrats (it's always nice seeing you adding to your cool collection)

I'm pretty sure that my only Islamic example is from many moons later ...

=> they had "images" by then

ISLAMIC, Anatolia & al-Jazira (Post-Seljuk), Zangids (al-Mawsil), Saif al-Din Ghazi II, Æ Dirhem
    AH 565-576 / AD 1170-1180
    Dated AH 567 (AD 1171/2)
    Diameter: 30 mm
    Weight: 13.21 grams
    Obverse: Draped young male bust facing slightly left, wearing hair in foreknot; above, winged figures flanking; AH date to right and left
    Reverse: Name and titles of Saif al-Din Ghazi II in five lines and in outer margins
    Reference: Whelan Type I, 174-5; S&S Type 60.3; Album 1861.1
    Other: 7h … brown patina.
    From the J.P. Righetti Collection

Islamic Anatolia & al-Jazira.jpg

15. ValiantKnight

I don't think I've ever had the fortune of inspiring another collector, so this means much to me. Best of luck in your endeavor Jack and I will be waiting to see what you end up getting.

And yes, these are usually affordable. I paid around $35 for my coin. I think I got a great deal since other coins of this type I saw for close to twice that amount. If you are patient I think you could grab something similar for around what I paid. I also have an Abbasid dirham in pretty nice condition (not as much as my coin above but still nice) that I paid like $25 for.

16. jackhd

jackhd Active Member

VK - Thanks so much for the kind reply. I'm grateful for the information. I think your coin is fabulous, and at that price, exceptional. I've already started to "prowl" ebay for an initial "target." At first glance, there appears to be no shortage of examples from the 17th, and 18th Centuries. Unfortunately, your example has completely spoiled me, so I'm holding out for something "older."

The lore attached is also commanding. I find great interest in the difference between Muslim dating (AH), compared to our standard AD. I'm envious of the apparent TOTAL commitment that followers of Muhammad have made. As you point out, even the coinage is used as a statement of faith. It sort of makes "In God We Trust" seem somewhat anemic. From a Western perspective the blending of faith and politics seems so unlikely. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge. Jack

17. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

No idea what this thread is about, but just wanted to cast my vote for best thread title ever.

stevex6 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted