Beware of rainbow toning

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by merrill01, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Those aren't registry sets, they are showcases for a one time promotion that PCGS may or may not make an annual event. The people who showcased their coins in those sets were already buying rainbow toned coins long before the PCGS promotion.

The incentive to artificially tone coins will not increase drastically because PCGS offers a cash award once per year. The coin doctors won't see one penny of that award money, and the people who won the awards are very experienced collectors who are just as good, if not better at weeding out AT coins from their collections.

Furthermore, the TPGs are never incentivized to grade AT coins. If the collector base ever lost faith in the ability of the TPGs to weed out the vast majority of AT coins, the entire toned coin market would collapse overnight.

I do have a question for you though. How can you criticize the coins as AT when you haven't even bothered to look at them? And honestly, you need to prove to me (and the other members of this forum) that you can tell the difference between an AT and NT coin, because quite frankly, I don't think you have any idea what you are talking about.

Evan Saltis, micbraun, expat and 2 others like this.
  4. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

It is not reward money, but the prestige of have such coins in a registry which drives the market, and encourages coin doctors.

5. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

its a joke.

Jeffjay likes this.
  6. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

Because I never did. I ma I sure if I look, I well see AT coins, but I only made the point that this encourages the fraud.

7. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

Because I never did. I'm sure if I look, I will see AT coins, but I only made the point that this encourages the fraud.

8. Lehigh96

These coins already resided in their collections, nobody bought coins for the sake of that promotion by PCGS. There is no additional incentive than the premium that already exists for rainbow toned coins.

baseball21 likes this.
  9. Lehigh96

Again, I don't trust that you have the requisite skills to determine which coins are NT and which coins are AT. If you think you can find AT coins in those collections, then prove it.

10. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Hence the irony of this sudden deluge of posts and threads regarding "AT fraud".

Evan Saltis and baseball21 like this.
  11. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

You'd think someone that seems to hate coins, the TPGs, and everything to do with the market would spend a lot less time posting the same things over and over in countless threads

Maxfli likes this.
  12. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

so according to you, we can dispense with economic theory and despite creating a new market rarity, it will have, in your opinion, no affect on future markets.

Interesting.

13. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

so what. It is not about what you think of my skills.

Draft saved Draft deleted