Beware of rainbow toning

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by merrill01, Mar 27, 2015.

1. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

That's really horrible. Clear as day that the toning is only around the gaps in the gasket -- but even if it weren't obviously post-slabbing AT, it's flat-out ugly.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Did that thread go poof?

4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Not poof but its back down to under a page again and some pictures are missing. Unless there were two and I'm looking at the wrong one

5. ddddd

ddddd Member

6. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

7. ddddd

ddddd Member

I saw this on a PCGS forum thread. There is another thread where someone also found some examples, but that one requires you to register in order to see the content. The way they did it was looking through the seller's feedback for items they bought and then finding those completed listings.

The particular example I shared shows up as the first two pictures when Google Image searching

https://www.google.com/search?q=edy...ved=0ahUKEwidm8DMrqHRAhWMy4MKHbLmA5cQ_AUICigE

Paul M. likes this.
  8. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

If that is not the clearest-possible proof that modern slabs are not air tight, I don't know what is.

9. -jeffB

I thought that was pretty universally understood, but I suppose we still get questions about it here.

The more interesting question, to my mind: what kind of results can a coin doctor produce with this technique if he isn't ham-fisted and impatient? I'm willing to bet that there are some very pretty and totally "market-acceptable" toners out there that were blast-white when they went into their slabs.

10. ddddd

ddddd Member

I'm sure there are some indeed. In fact, while not done by a coin doctor, the PCI toning is usually caused by the slab itself (from the label). Many of those coins were slabbed white and then developed pretty toning. These however are usually market acceptable.

Insider likes this.
  11. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Absolutely! This is a hobby with less than stellar ethics. Anything that becomes fashionable WILL be manufactured, whether that means outright fakes or post hoc alterations. It's inevitable.

silverbullion likes this.
  12. V. Kurt Bellman

Old small ANACS slabs and proof coins too. Very reactive slab insert.

ddddd likes this.
  13. V. Kurt Bellman

I believe I said it well upthread on this zombie thread, but I don't pay for color. If you want to, that's YOUR problem. It's a new year, and with every passing one of these, the percentage of doctored colored coins goes up at an ever-increasing rate. It's a license for the unethical to rob the gullible.

14. ddddd

ddddd Member

That's fair. Everyone is entitled to collect the way they want.
    I'll still pay a premium for color, but I'm picky when it comes to what kind of color. The blatant AT coins aren't worth much nor are altered slabs with ugly coins.

15. V. Kurt Bellman

I guess we partly remain a creature of the era of our coming of age in this hobby. In my upbringing, color is damage. A particular kind, but still damage.

IOW, I don't DO trendy. Not ONLY don't I do trendy, I actively and aggressively go COUNTER to trends.

16. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

Finally we can agree on something! Cheers and Happy New Year!

17. -jeffB

And yet, here you are, on the Internet... ;)

gronnh20 and Kentucky like this.
  18. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Shhhhhhhhhhh

gronnh20 likes this.
  19. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

For what it's worth, this Jefferson commemorative dollar is from 1993 and has had no problem growing a nice full ROYGBIV rainbow from the OGP:

1993 P Jefferson Dollar 6.jpg

1993 P Jefferson Dollar 6 - Packaging 1.jpg

ddddd and Jaelus like this.
  20. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I didn't realize this thread is so old. There is some good info here and a lot of ignorance :bucktooth: like a SE cannot tone naturally in a very short time. I shall read through this thread in time and have some fun commenting. ;)

21. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

Insider likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted