Beware of broken cups and hungry eels

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Finn235, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Vedius Pollio, Procurator of Asia
    c. 29-27 BC
    AE21 of Lydia, Tralles
    Magistrate Menandros, son of Parrisos
    OYHΔIOΣ KAIΣAΡEΩN, Bare head of Vedius Pollio right
    MENANΔΡOΣ ΠAΡΡAΣIOY, Laureate head of Zeus right
    RPC 2635
    Rare

Vedius Pollio zeus tralles.jpeg

For a Roman citizen to obtain the right to place his image on a coin under the supervision of Augustus was among the highest honors, granted to only some half dozen men during the entirety of Augustus' four decades in office. It is therefore nothing short of remarkable when history remembers nothing of Vedius Pollio save for his cruelty. An apparent Equestrian, Pollio served as the procurator of Roman Asia during the earliest years of the Empire, and surely was one of Augustus' closest friends and allies. He returned to Rome some time around 22 BC and thereafter became a figure of legendary terror, as he maintained in his large estate at Posillipo a tank of ravenous lamprey (or possibly Moray) eels that he would throw his unfortunate slaves to whenever they made a mistake, however minor. Once fattened on human flesh, the lampreys would be consumed as a traditional Roman delicacy.

It is said that one day, Pollio was entertaining Augustus at a dinner party when a slave accidentally dropped and broke a crystal cup. Pollio had the slave seized to be thrown into the pool, but the young boy threw himself at Augustus' feet and begged for a humane death. Augustus asked Pollio to spare the young slave's life, to which Pollio responded that as the slave is his property, he will do as he wishes. Augustus then asked Pollio to bring all of the rest of the crystalware in the house. Everything gathered, the Emperor inspected it over, then ordered it all smashed to pieces, then turning to Pollio and remarking that surely whatever was done to his slave for a single cup must now also be done to his emperor for everything he owned. Flustered, Pollio ordered the slave released. Vedius Pollio died in about 15 BC at an unknown age, and Augustus had his residence at Rome torn down to make room for a public monument in his wife's honor.

One interesting aspect about these coins that I have not seen discussed is Pollio's title KAIΣAΡEΩN, seemingly indicating some connection with the Caesars. Could Pollio have been an early candidate for possible succession, before Augustus even gave his ring to Agrippa? Whatever the truth may be, it has been wholly eclipsed by the deliciously scandalous tale of a man who fed human beings to his pet eels.

eparch, Limes, tibor and 14 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Great write up and your coin, @Finn235 ! Nice.

4. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

They where probably Conger Eels hqdefault.jpg

chrsmat71 likes this.
  5. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Great writeup and cool coin. I’ve always liked that story about Pollio and Augustus.

I believe KAIΣAΡEΩN on the obverse refers to the city of Tralles, which had been recently rebuilt and renamed Caesarea.

6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

That's the kind of story that makes me want to buy the coin! Added to the list :D.

7. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Never heard of this dude, interesting write up @Finn235 and a cool coin!

Draft saved Draft deleted