BEWARE! Altered Double Brockage on ebay

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by JCro57, Apr 21, 2019.

1. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

Do not bid on this Lincoln cent as it is altered. It is actually too perfect, which is what drew my attention for a closer inspection.

This coin would have to have been struck, then get ejected, then wind up back in the striking chamber, and then struck with a previously struck Lincoln cent on both dies

Highly, highly, highly unlikely. Definitely a vise job. Almost at $100, closes Monday. Don't be fooled.

Screenshot_2019-04-21-06-57-08~3.png Screenshot_2019-04-21-06-56-56~2.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

a vice job. fun to look at, but it is damage.

4. brandon spiegel

brandon spiegel Brandon Spiegel

Thanks for the heads up

5. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

I dropped out at $80. Lol

john65999, Mark1971 and Mernskeeter like this.
  6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

@JCro57
    Incused and backwards lettering, numerals and imaged is definitely damage.
    Sadly these sellers sometimes actually think they have a true Mint Error. I have seen so many over the years. I sometimes send them a message. Some respond by saying they didn't know and take the coin off but others tell me to mind my own business and that I know nothing and they keep the the coin listed. Ebay sucks. That's why we need to know the difference!

7. Heavymetal

I sent the seller a message. Guess we’ll see what happens

8. JCro57

I did earlier. Heard nothing. Still up. Could be he's on Easter break with no phone.

9. JCro57

It has been taken down

Heavymetal and spirityoda like this.
  10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

What would it take for this to actually happen as an error in real life?

The press would have to strike a cent, that cent sticks to the hammer die, then two previously struck cents would have to be fed into the coining chamber, at the same time, stacked perfectly one on top of the other, and then the press strikes again.

Now considering that middle cent probably won't be completely down inside the collar for that strike (no room, there's already another coin below it), what happens when it is hit with three times or more pressure than a normal strike? Think of the partial collar error you're going to have on that piece! It would probably extend out 2 or 3 mm or more. (Strange how the ebay coin doesn't show that.)

Heavymetal and JCro57 like this.
  11. i2i

i2i Active Member

- the lettering would be reversed ("backwards") with the stuck die cap leaving the reverse image on each struck planchet. You fail to realize that the image is being struck from the die cap and not the die. You are correct that it shouldn't be incused.
    Here is a potential explanation, or theoretical possibility.
    http://www.error-ref.com/brockage-counterbrockage_combination_8_ways/

12. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I haven't failed anything.. The cent in question has been altered after it left the mint.

It's good that you are learning. But the reference on that website has nothing to do with the Cent in question.

13. JCro57

@Heavymetal Do you have any information on who that seller was? Like a name, an ebay profile name, or business, or anything where I can contact him?

14. Heavymetal

Sorry Joe. Can’t find that far back on my eBay history

JCro57 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted