Better grading results by sending economy as oppose to regular or express?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by BustHalfNut, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Casman

Casman Well-Known Member

I've been told "they" treat varieties tougher. So send in wo/variety then reholder with attribution.
    I guess the issue becomes at what point or through what channels does a variety coin travel vs. a non variety??? And at what point is the coin graded and attributed???
    I will say I've noticed no difference economy v express. Regarding salting or placement also no difference, in fact the last time I experimented my worst coin in the bunch upgraded with a +.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I
    If it’s the coin posted above, it appears to have zero luster and it’s totally white. Not sure why it CAC’ed...? Maybe they’re getting more lenient too.

4. Player11

Player11 Bullish

Have not any difference - results economy vs regular.

5. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Heritage’s highly-lit photos wash out the luster. Here are more pics (in a PCGS slab). That fact that you think there is zero luster implies that you do not know how to properly interpret photographs. Also keep in mind that you are looking at a VVLDS coin.

1CD563C0-91DB-449E-BA8C-90FB34DCA365.jpeg A8B64A93-ABEC-4E95-A430-0DB71A04CA17.jpeg C12D2750-F63D-4D64-8B4B-162F62378810.jpeg

And the PCGS TrueView:

F6DA1895-6189-40B2-9A59-15DE7B5EFFC8.jpeg

And the other NGC AU-55 for this variety, which is most definitely freshly-dipped.

1E1B5333-D687-45AA-B91D-BFF357515A15.jpeg 1FA20ED7-2B97-43A7-9015-3E3C0508C335.jpeg

Casman likes this.
  6. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Lol at least I don’t pretend to know it all. If the coin had zero luster, NGC would not have given a straight grade, not even once. This coin can go both ways and you know it.

7. TypeCoin971793

Good job changing your story. You said it obviously had no luster and that it should not have straight-graded at all. And that CAC dropped the ball as well. Now you say that it obviously had to have luster for NGC to straight grade it. It seems like you are the one pretending.

It had been sent in to PCGS at least 4 times, and each time it got AU-53/55. If it was as borderline as you want to believe, then it would not have been so consistent. Yes this coin has been dipped, but the official TPG standards say that a proper dipping does not count as cleaning damage. Now how are you going to change your story?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  8. Walkerfan

Walkerfan Well-Known Member

This theory has crossed my mind, as well.

There may be some validity to it but we will never know.

It's possible that the more money that you pay...the more you get scrutinized....They may likely feel that you're expecting more.

9. MercuryBen

MercuryBen Well-Known Member

Human beings have a natural inclination to look for patterns and causation where there is actually just natural variation. I have submitted every which way, and in the long-run, don't think it impacts the grade.

One thing that DOES make a difference is cracking and submitting raw versus submitting for regrade/reconsideration.

You DEFINITELY have a better shot of an upgrade with the crack-out, but you have the accompanying downside risk.

10. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

So you submitted this coin like 7-8 (!?) times to get the grade/attribution you wanted. And it only received a details grade when submitted on a higher tier. And the reason is NGC wants you to submit it again to make more money. Sure, go figure :-D

11. TypeCoin971793

Including the previous owner.

The only time it graded “details” between both PCGS and NGC was when it was in NGC’s higher tier. As soon it was submitted in a lower tier, it straight graded. Coincidence? I think not.

I think it was because it was subject to greater scrutiny, not because they were wanting a resubmission.

12. Casman

Casman Well-Known Member

This suggests the graders know the submission tier.

micbraun likes this.
  13. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

It also suggests we should submit all our coins economy to avoid details grades. An 1813 Bustie in mid-AU is a $1500 coin, the maximum value per coin for NGC’s economy tier is $300. Sorry, this just doesn’t make any sense.

14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Sample size is really too small to come to any real judgement, not enough data points. If you want to make a really valid test send the same coin to each TPG a few dozen times at each tier level, with and without attribution and then plot the results. To make it an even more valid test do the same thing with a group of coins at different grade levels and different series.

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  15. TypeCoin971793

Standard is $3000. However, the coin was given extra scrutiny because of the rare variety, which we paid for them to attribute.

16. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

We’re talking about economy tier, not about standard tier. See the title and first page of this thread. Also, you believe the coin was given extra scrutiny because of the variety, but you don’t know. I don’t think variety attribution has anything to do with the given grade - why should it? Condor101 made an excellent point, the sample size is way too small to come to a conclusion.

17. TypeCoin971793

If you asked me beforehand, I would have agreed. Now I am suspicious.

Draft saved Draft deleted