Best worst bust left Tacitus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by seth77, Aug 29, 2015.

1. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

For some reason, all types of Tacitus with bust left are rather rare. So after I lost a bidding war for a lovely VF one 3 months ago, I decided to acquire this one, which is exponentially lower in quality (also in price) but has the elusive bust left, with a twist - the Medusa head on the (unfortunately very worn) cuirass:

TACITUS AE22mm 2.87g Antoninian/Aurelian (F)

AV: IMP C M CL TACITVS AVG; radiate, cuirassed, with Medusa head on cuirass bust l.

REV: SALVS PVBLI; Salus stg. r., feeding snake held in r. hand from patera held in l. hand.

EXE: T

REF: LV 1704, RIC V-1 160var. (for bust type), RIC Online #3424, 3rd officina at Ticinum mint, early – June 276AD.

Scarce bust left issue of an otherwise common series. Double die match with this one from Budapest Museum.

tacitus.JPG

If in VF, this would easily have been a 200$ coin.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
    Orfew, stevex6, maridvnvm and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your latest purchase, too bad about losing the bidding war though.

4. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Sometimes you gotta settle for a lower grade like I often do. That's still a decent coin and with the rare left facing bust makes it better.

I have a Tacitus which isn't too bad at all and I got a good price on it too. It is also unlisted in RIC. Might be in some other reference books, who knows. I did submit this coin to the RIC V project online and it was accepted.

tacitus-mars-ant-reshoot.jpg

Tacitus AE Antoninianus. 275-276 AD, 3.6g, 23mm

OBV: IMP C M CL TACITVS AVG. Radiate and cuirassed bust right.

REV: MARTI PACIF. Mars advancing left, holding branch, spear and shield. XXIVI in ex.

REF: Unlisted

Orfew, stevex6, chrsmat71 and 4 others like this.
  5. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

6. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

These lefties are scarce indeed for Tacitus. I have only ever owned one, which I sold to Barry Murphy for his Tacitus collection.

Tacitus Antoninianus
    Obv:– IMP C M CL TACITVS P F AVG, Radiate, cuirassed bust left
    Rev:– PAX PVBLICA, Pax standing left, holding olive branch and transverse sceptre
    Minted in Lugdunum (No marks), Emission 1, October to December A.D. 275
    References:– Cohen 82, RIC 44. Bastien 31 (5 examples cited).

[​IMG]

Orfew, stevex6, TIF and 2 others like this.
  7. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

I would've liked that one too. It's justly worn, but the toning redeems it.

Yes, bidding wars are a nuisance and they often get out of control. I was willing to pay more than I thought it would worth but someone just wanted it more. And could afford it.
    Eh, live to fight another day.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
    Jwt708 likes this.
  8. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Thanks for that information and I'm going to update the reference very soon. Yeah, mine and that coin looks almost dead on for a die match. Very nice!! I'm pretty sure I submitted my coin to that website and it was accepted. I did read about my coin at that site as there were a couple of examples but not cataloged.

9. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

The OP coin is a reminder of why if not an expert, one should ALWAYS avoid cleaning his coins with anything else than a light mechanical cleaning.

10. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Yeah, your OP coin is definitely over cleaned. People ruin coins like that because they are being impatient and want it now. It really makes me sad all the coins I've seen ruined. However, yours is fine and I'm sure you know how to take care of it with the patina being stripped and all.

11. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

When it comes to very rare issues, sometimes you've got to take what you can get. The OP coin will darken over time - it's by no means ruined for the cleaning. I would just keep an eye on it for BD.

12. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Yes, it's in quarantine and will be for the next year or so. If BD appears I'll act on it early on.

Draft saved Draft deleted