Best World Siver Coins?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by John King, Jun 7, 2016.

1. John King

John King Member

I like silver coins especially large ones. What is the best deal on silver coins beyond the USA. I have some Mexican coins and British coins. They tend to sell for about spot plus large premium IMO. Why should a coin with maybe one oz of silver sell for $30? I don't want bullion. Any suggestions?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Taxidermist

Taxidermist Collector of US/IL/RU/DE

Yeah... or $70? http://www.ebay.com/itm/391424521200

Can't really suggest, I like all "official" 1 oz issues of various countries, so far got about 15 different ones.

Try this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullion_coin Scroll down to "List of silver bullion coins" table, see if there is anything you like.

Austrian Vienna Philharmonic and Armenian Noah's Ark are often the cheapest.

4. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

I collect a lot of Aussie silver and you can get florins for melt or less than melt if you look. Not all time mind you, but you can find some great prices. Just keep your eyes open, I've found old British crowns for waaaaay less than melt.

5. John King

John King Member

Thanks so much! I did look at Austrian and Armenian silver coins and prices seem to be about 3-4 bucks over spot price. I am going to look at Aussie silver now. Where do you look for great prices?

6. chromerunner

chromerunner ******

If you like large silver, check out the Netherlands 2 1/2 gulden. You can find them on Ebay in lower to mid grades for 2-4 dollars over spot price.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sonlarson, onecenter and jester3681 like this.
  7. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

I just watch Ebay. You can go months without finding anything good and then all of a sudden you'll find a nice chunk of silver for $5 under melt. I've picked all of these up over the last month or so for under melt prices.
    s-l1600-1.jpg s-l1600-2.jpg s-l1600-3.jpg s-l1600.jpg

jester3681, onecenter and ddddd like this.
  8. ddddd

ddddd Member

The Australian (Perth Mint) Lunar series coins, while considered bullion, tend to have nice designs and usually go up in value or at least do better than generic bullion in a down market. The best prices are usually when they are just released in the Aug-Sep timeframe, but at times the various dealers will have specials on them after that period.

9. mumu

mumu Junior Member

There are coins which much less than 1 ounce of silver that sell for millions of dollars??

10. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

If you want large size non bullion coins, your best bet is at a coin show. Ebay sellers factor in shipping and fees, so you're not going to find a lot of crown coins for under 30. At a show you have a better chance

11. Inquisitive

Inquisitive Starting 2 know something

How about the 10 and 50 Franc "Hercules" coins of the 1960s & 1970s?

12. John King

John King Member

I like the Hercules silver coins but they seem expensive. All the silver coins I like seem expensive to me. The Numismatic News has an article about precious metals and the reasons for buying coins vs bullion etc. If a coin is not rare and contains close to an ounce of silver I don't believe in paying a 50% premium. Morgans have huge premiums even the most common ones.

Draft saved Draft deleted