Best way to sell these gold coins?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by JonLloyd, Sep 24, 2017.

1. JonLloyd

JonLloyd New Member

IMG_0448.JPG I had these coins graded recently and would like to get maximum value for the estate involved. Any suggestions on where to sell and their value? I have already checked a few guides but am wondering about the best approach in order to limit fees.

Also, as you can see in the photo, the $20 coins have initials on the obverse side.
    How much does this affect their value?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

I'd be curious to hear from others also, but from what I do know, the more secure avenues for selling all have fees or costs associated with them. If you go with what is regarded a top-tier seller like Heritage, Stacks Bowers or Great Collections, you will need to ship them the coins and buyers will have to pay commission (which takes away from sell price). On the positive side, selling with them puts your coins in front of the big money buyers and protects you from scammers.

You could try to sell direct and save on fees/costs but there would be more risk since you are not as protected from scammers by an intermediary.

Another option is going to a local coin shop but you can expect offers lower than market value. The best part of this option is a quick cash-in-hand sale. If you are looking for top dollar though then this is not your best option.

As you can see each option has its downsides. Maybe someone else can add more to this.

4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Hey, Jon, welcome to CT. After you have 10 posts here, you can offer them for sale to our members without paying fees. If you sell to established members, I think you run little risk. As for the ones that don't sell, I'm sure others here will have good advice. Good Luck

The Bob and Endeavor like this.
  5. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Pcgs would have been the route to go for top dollar, but CAC evaluation could also help for the straight grades.

For the graffiti there's no magic formula. The 55 S is a better date and the other being a civil war date will work in your favor, but they will lose some value. It's hard to see from the pictures but some will depends on how visible it is.

I'd suggest contacting David Lawrence, I believe with a group like that you would be able to find the fees very favorable or see what Heritage would want to charge you. Legend is another option, they mostly deal with PCGS CAC though but could be worth seeing what they have to say.

6. Kentucky

Quick couple of questions...why did you have them graded and do you have others that you didn't grade?

The Bob likes this.
  7. JonLloyd

JonLloyd New Member

I had them graded so that I could get a handle on their value. I inherited these from my grandmother and know very little about coins, other than from online searches. There are additional coins but these are the only ones I had graded. The rest are less valuable according to guides I checked.

8. Kentucky

Of course by grading them you also increase the amount of money you have in them and have increased the price you need to get. If you can post pictures of the rest, perhaps people here can give you an idea of their value...we don't charge much :)

The Bob likes this.
  9. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Nice group of coins! I buy/sell/collect gold (mostly $2 1/2 and $1's, btu sometimes the others as well). Some of these have decent premium over melt, some might be close to melt. Those are better dates on the $20 coins, but the damage to them will hurt, for sure. I would suggest ebay, no reserve, to get true value, or try the for sale here once you are able to.

10. JonLloyd

JonLloyd New Member

I didn't want to go to the trouble of having them graded. Initially I tried selling on EBay. Sold one and the buyer demanded a partial refund, claiming the coin was improperly cleaned. Maybe he was honest or maybe he was unscrupulous. I'll never know but I didn't want to be in that situation again.

Kentucky likes this.
  11. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Yeah, selling on ebay has for sure changed, as directed an auction house is your
    Best option but keep in mind you will have allot of added fees associated with it
    Just to give you the heads up :)

12. GoodLife Auctions

GoodLife Auctions New Member

If you don't want to be in the seller seat then you really have only one route - go to a real auction house (which eBay is not). Sellers commissions are negotiable with most auction houses.

Good Luck

13. nameless

nameless Member

Try eBay again. Make sure you mark the auction as "Returns Not Accepted" and also in the description mention something like "Item sold as in, please inspect pictures carefully. More pictures available upon request." or similar. And third make sure you use tracking when you send it. Follow these three steps and the buyer will not be able to rip you off again. Also if you're selling any of those near melt please PM me. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. nameless

nameless Member

Also I always like to promote Heritage because if you are a combat vet like myself they do not charge any fees. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Sorry to burst your bubble Jon, but the coins above are neither date nor condition rarities, and are not prime candidates for major auction houses. If they took them, they would likely lump them together as a few multi-coin gold lots, rather than trying to maximize returns on any one of the coins individually. With very high consignor fees, you are unlikely to get anywhere near fair money back for them.

Your best bet is to do some research, determine the highest probable sale price for each, and patiently offer them in the fixed price format on eBay until they sell, dropping your price for unsold items a little bit each week, or each time you relist.

16. ColonialCoin4

ColonialCoin4 Active Member

Sorry, but those "problem" coins would only sell for a little over spot. PM me about those gold dollars though. :happy:

17. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

I assume that the type 2 Gold Dollar has the biggest premium over melt.
    These are pricey.....in MS.

Draft saved Draft deleted