Best way to raise funds? Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Peter T Davis, May 25, 2017.

1. WashQuartJesse

WashQuartJesse Member Supporter

Physics, I'll drink just about anything and regularly... but scotch is a different experience for me. My daily fall/winter/early spring would be one of the L's of Islay, but here's a few pickups from earlier this year...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Old Pult, Ardbeg, and even the Dalmore blew the Mac18 away IMO. Haven't cracked the Balblair or Port yet.

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Are you willing to auction them as well? ;) I'll toss in the koolaid. :)

4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I think I need to make an sojourn to Scotland.......

5. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Dang, that's some high end stuff! I'm a huge fan of the Dalmore 18 year.

And I *love* Port. A good 30 year sounds really nice right now!

6. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Don't mean to Highjack the thread but after reading the first few pages some questions came to mind. How do you make transactions with other members of this site? Is it just based on faith that some person you don't know or even met will pay you? Are there protocols? Also how do you pay to support the site?

7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Click on your user name at the top, next to your inbox. Click on account upgrade.

8. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

What about transactions with other members?

9. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Transactions with other members are based on trust. There is no policing of it, and the site does not get a cut.

The usual protocol is:
    -seller lists something
    -buyer sends a PM showing interest
    -buyer and seller agree on a price
    -buyer pays seller (paypal is probably the most common way)
    -once seller has money, seller ships the item to the buyer

It's all based on trust and reputation - people who try to screw the other person over will generally get publicly called out (but, that is very rare here). Their reputation will be damaged, and people will be less likely to deal with them in the future.

dwhiz likes this.
  10. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

They have something you want or vice versa, one PayPals the other the agreed upon price and the other ships said item(s). Pretty simple stuff

11. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Ok, so all trust base. Any dollar amount you wouldn't go over?

12. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It's how much you know and trust the person. There are folks here that I would send thousands of dollars to and not worry a bit. Several have posted in this thread. This hobby is all about trust. It's rare for someone to trash their reputation over a deal with a different member.

13. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Bman, you may know , but if you click on a person's user ID, you can see when they joined and the threads in which they posted or started.Then you can form an opinion.

14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Me too. But, there are others that I wouldn't trust if all I had to do was pay shipping !

Folks need to keep that in mind ! Does it happen often that a member gets ripped off ? No, but it does happen.

15. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

I completed a purchase on here a month or two back. It was for over $600 and the person was relatively new. I did not want to risk it so I asked him to add the paypal fees to the invoice and set it to me. That way I had some recourse if it did not arrive. Everything was smooth. I did a second purchase with him a little later and felt more comfortable so did not ask for the invoice and again it was all smooth.

So I guess if you are not certain just be willing to pay the 3.5% paypal fees yourself and ask for an invoice.

Smojo likes this.
  16. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Ditto. I buy from other members quite often actually.
    Even once from a new member as @sakata did. I had no issues then or ever.
    Are you willing to trash your reputation or trust you've built up here? I sure ain't

17. Hugh Stiel

Hugh Stiel Made in New Orleans

Peter if you want to put a package together for a couple of thousand I will
    buy to help out. Make it a surprise package for $2000. Ill send the money first.
    God knows you have put up with me enough to be worth at least that :)
    Call me or write for payment if you decide to. Hugh

18. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I'm just a tramp on your street.
    Give me some good old Mad Dog or T'Bird, I use to like Night Train but they changed the label from a steam engine to a diesel.:eek:

http://www.bumwine.com/

WashQuartJesse likes this.
  19. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

Well, to answer your title question - you know what Willie Sutton said.

WashQuartJesse and dwhiz like this.
  20. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

21. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I like that, going from doing life in prison for robbing banks to making TV commercials for a bank.

Draft saved Draft deleted