Best way to raise funds? Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Peter T Davis, May 25, 2017.

1. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Hammer at the Ready Moderator

Hey! So, I've been digging out some things to use to raise funds for the new server and thought I'd ask for advice since it's been a while since I've sold anything. I'll post a picture of the things I have, nothing really spectacular just a bunch of mint sets mostly. I'm just thinking if I should ebay these and if so should it be individually, all of them as a lot, or a combination of lots and individually? Should I just dump them at the closest local coin dealer? Offer them in CoinTalk's marketplace at a fixed cost?

Attached Files:

Victor likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Here is a thought @Peter T Davis . Why don't you list each item "For Sale" here at a fixed price and give the buyers an added perk......Preferred Member Status (or whatever you call it).

Just a thought!

Chris

Kentucky, Johndoe2000$ and Clawcoins like this.
  4. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Consign them to HSN as "Limited Edition Collector's Sets"

Peter T. Davis Limited Edition.jpg

5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Peter, before you put up your stuff alone, consider other coins or books,etc. donations from members with proceeds to go to the site. Chris's idea of perks is probably a good one also.

Kentucky, mikenoodle and dwhiz like this.
  6. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Hammer at the Ready Moderator

One of the reasons I was thinking of auctioning them on ebay was then I could avoid having to figure out a price to put on them. ;)

I could add the "perks" with an ebay auction too I think.

7. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

What about running a private auction through the site and have members PM you their bids?

Since you already have an audience of hundreds of coin collectors you can connect with directly it doesn't seem that you would have a need to pay eBay a cut of your profit.

8. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I must have something to add to the cause.

Curtisimo likes this.
  9. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Put them up on here and say highest bidder before the some date gets them. Qualify it with the condition that the highest bid must be comparable to Ebay completed sales. That way people here win, you don't pay EBay fees and CT wins. If no one bids then you can EBay them.

10. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I think listing them here is your best bet. There are a lot of generous members here. I'm sure several of your items may sell for a higher price here than on eBay, simply because we know where the money is going and you don't have to pay eBay. :)

Smojo and micbraun like this.
  11. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

I agree that you should try here first. I'm sure that some members would be happy to help this forum out by purchasing your offerings. I know I would. Perhaps an auction. Start the prices at approximate fmv and let us do the rest. This site is very important to many, and I think that you are numismatic royalty for your efforts here. (As well as the mods) I bet that if members understand that the proceeds are for the benefit of this site, you would have success with this. I would also say that just asking for donations would be helpful also. Your call.
    John.

12. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

Put them for sale right here for the highest bid.

13. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Why not have a raffle for a small gold coin? Everyone with a current yearly supporter status by a certain date gets an entry (or something like that).

14. dog_pound

dog_pound Supporter! Supporter

List here is my vote, if it going to CT's benefit, I can get behind that. I have a few trinkets that I would contribute. A Coin talk carwash in a sense. PM me if you want to consider it, and I can list a few things to you that can be thrown into the mix.

15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Raffles are illegal, even for Peter.

16. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Gotta admit though that I tend to agree that offering the coins here and letting members do private bids would probably be your best bet for maximizing return ;)

Kentucky and Curtisimo like this.
  17. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

You could always auction off a "like" from Doug, that would raise thousands.

18. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I would suggest soliciting donations from members to then be auctioned for $$$.

Numismat likes this.
  19. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Not exactly. You can't sell tickets for one that is held online, but you can give them away to certain people, provided you have a method (such as by mail request) for people to request a ticket for free. I didn't mention selling tickets, now, did I? People would simply be purchasing support status for the site, which is perfectly legal and something many do now.

20. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Pretty sure that the required terminology is "no purchase necessary", even (or especially) if that "purchase" is a subscription.

Jaelus likes this.
  21. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

But first you'd have to get Doug to agree to give one, That could be tough.

lordmarcovan and Kentucky like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted