Best way to get stuck coins out of capsule?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Gam3rBlake, Jul 8, 2022.

1. Mike Thornton

Mike Thornton Learning something new everyday.

It’s not the plastic your trying to shrink, it’s the coin.
    Or use some nail clippers to score the rim of the capsule on opposite sides, careful not to mark the coin, then place it face doing on a cloth and grip the edges of the capsule with your nails, 90 degrees opposite the scores. Place your thumbs on the back of the capsule and try to crack it apart.
    But I have to ask, you say it’s a silver round, correct? It really doesn’t have numismatic value so why worry about marking the silver?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2022
    Cheech9712 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

I mean it is just a silver round but I paid a hefty premium because it’s the 2 oz Egyptian Gods series with antique finish so it’s more than bullion to me.

Kentucky likes this.
  4. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

I would try putting it in hot water for a little while so the plastic can expand.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  7. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

If all fails she can always try walking like this...

CygnusCC likes this.
  8. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

The silver will cool much faster than the plastic because it is a conductor and the plastic is an insulator. The coin/medal will contract faster than the capsule.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  9. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Are we ever going to see a pic of what we’re dealing with? I mean as long as we’re throwing out recommendations.

10. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

Some holders have some curvature behind the coin. If you put the holder with the stuck coin on a table, coin side down, you may be able to press on the holder and force the sides apart a little. Then the coin can just drop out.

Edit 1: It may help to do this while the coin is cold, so it has contracted a tiny bit.
    Edit 2: If a press doesn’t do it, try smacking the holder with the flat side of a book. Not so hard as to destroy the holder, of course - but then it would be easy to remove, right?

B66FFF1F-F672-4704-8B7C-409ACC737C94.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 10, 2022
    Gam3rBlake likes this.
  11. John Johnson

John Johnson Well-Known Member

I would be afraid the heat might melt some of the plastic and leave a residue on the coin. I agree with the others that freezing is best option.

12. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

Using a hair drier on low and held 6-12 in. away won't melt the plastic or damage the coin. Also consider if you put the coin in the freezer, then when it's taken out there will be condensation on it. Like water spots?

Cal

Cheech9712 likes this.
  13. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

You might want to experiment with putting a coin in a sealable plastic bag, squeezing it flat to drive out as much air as possible, then sealing it before putting it in the freezer. This will reduce the amount of available water vapor in the bag. When you take it back out, the condensation will be on the outside of the bag, not on the coin itself. Then when everything is separated and warmed up again, take it out of the bag.

We don’t want no water spots.

14. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

Who's cased the coin. They would be the people to ask since it's their case. If no name then it will be a little harder to find out. Maybe a sound/sonic wave system could open it. I have an Ultrasonic Cleaner that is a water tank system that I use for different stuff, but much or if any fine coins. My son used it on an auto pistol and it removed the bluing finish to bare metal. I metal detect and use it to clean the dirt and sap off the coins. If I have a silver coin that has tarnished, I use warm/hot water with baking soda in a flat glass container. I place a small piece of aluminum foil that I rub with very fine sandpaper and clean thoroughly before using it in the water. Place the coin just touching the foil and it will remove the tarnish. It may take more than one to remove it completely. So watch it while it's in it's process. When drying, only pat the coins or sliver item and never "rub" it to dry. Then let it air dry completely while turning it over. Some may disagree with this. Good luck with getting your coin out. Semper Fi

Last edited: Jul 10, 2022
  15. John Johnson

John Johnson Well-Known Member

Not visibly, but I would worry that the plastic would heat enough to leave some residue.

16. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

I’m thinking members are over thinking this one. Lol

LakeEffect and Kentucky like this.
  17. Cheech9712

Lol. Still giggling

18. Cheech9712

Oh a round is a coin. Lots to learn

19. Cheech9712