Best US currency dealers?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Owle, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Owle

Owle Junior Member

I like Don Kelly's site; Scott Lindquist advertises a lot and seems to be open and helpful to collectors. Action Currency/Jeff on ebay does tremendous business, sells mainly certified. Anyone have favorites?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

It really depends on what your looking for allot of shops have specialties

4. Owle

Owle Junior Member

I've noticed Denly of Boston has a big inventory, but mainly raw so who ultimately stands behind the grade? Plus it looks like his return privilege is null and void if you send the note out to be graded: https://www.denlys.com/disclaimer/index.asp#return

5. lettow

lettow Senior Member

You do know that currency collecting existed before TPGs, right? Back in the old days, reputable dealers stood behind their grades. Denly is a very reputable dealer who stands behind his grade as long as you return it in 30 days. What more do you want? Would it really take more than 30 days to figure out whether Denly's grading of a raw note is accurate? If you have to rely on a TPG to determine a grade you shouldn't be spending any serious dough on notes.

6. Owle

Owle Junior Member

That is one of the most ignorant non-objective statements I've heard, makes me suspect that you have financial connections to him. Every other significant dealer I know, Lindquist, Kelly, Brueggeman submits to other experts' opinions and admits their flaws as any normal ethical human being should. Denly appears to be bullying and brow-beating others into submitting to him and refuses to accept the judgment of companies like PCGS and PMG that back their grading with a money guarantee. All Denly is saying is send the note back but not if a grading service differed with him on grade and value! Sounds very arrogant and smug to me and collectors should be running the other way.

7. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Slow your roll @Owle.

I would trust Tom Denly's evaluation over any TPG, and as @lettow mentioned Tom Denly is a trusted dealer, SPMC member #1, PCDA officer, and contributor to major numismatic publications. I agree that you should be able to determine within 30 days if a note was evaluated correctly. I think your comments about @lettow and Denly's are a little harsh bud. Scott Lindquist's guarantee ( a dealer I also respect) is; "All items guaranteed genuine with a 14 day return privilege if returned as shipped in original holder." No mention of his grade, just that the item is genuine.

8. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

9. mpcusa

To interject my experience with Denly's of Boston, it wasen,t about the grade of the
    Note it was more about the lack of customer service.

10. mpcusa

To be fair i will go in to more detail, i bought a Series 681 5 cent note in PCGS 68PPQ used pay-pal thinking i would get it in atleast 10 days 4 days to process
    and 6 to ship more then enough time, truth of the matter it took over 30 days !!
    Which is not acceptable, i called on repeated occasion,s with in that 30 day period
    never got a return call or even a lousy email back :(

11. Owle

Owle Junior Member

Just as I don't know any major coin auction company that sells most of their material raw, I don't know any major currency auction company that sells much of their higher end material uncertified; it is just a recipe for problems and misunderstandings. The mark of real experts to me is humility and realizing their limitations. When I hear a dealer like Denly saying he has very little confidence in the grading services of currency, it reminds me of dealers in coins who reject the bitter truths of how the grading services grade their coins.

12. mpcusa

That,s what TPG,S do is grade currency, have faith in the experts they now allot
    More about it then we do

Draft saved Draft deleted