Best TPG for world coins. Weigh in!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Jaelus, Oct 25, 2019.

?

What third-party grading service do you prefer for world coins?

1. ANACS

3 vote(s)
    6.0%
  2. ICCS

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  3. ICG

2 vote(s)
    4.0%
  4. NGC

36 vote(s)
    72.0%
  5. PCGS

6 vote(s)
    12.0%
  6. SEGS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other (explain)

2 vote(s)
    4.0%
  1. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

What TPG do you prefer for world coins and why? For those who prefer world coins raw, still choose your favorite TPG if you had to pick one. This thread is not about the raw vs. slabbed debate.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Without a doubt - NGC. But even they have their downsides.

GoldFinger1969 and Jaelus like this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I'm a member with NGC - I have had just a few issues over the years with my submissions. But hey.. Nobody is perfect.

5. Jaelus

Indeed. I actually prefer PCGS over NGC for world medals and tokens, and I am a member and submitter to both for that reason.

6. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

I definitely prefer NGC. Part of it is just consistency for me. 99% of my graded coins are in NGC holders, the other 1% bother me because they aren't but it doesn't make sense to send it to NGC just to pay them to put it in a new holder.

Aside from that, I do feel that NGC does a better job on world coins but there is nothing wrong with PCGS or ANACS in my opinion.

7. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

Observation- I do see many more World coins in NGC holders than I see World coins in PCGS holders

8. ddddd

ddddd Member

The majority of my world coins are NGC.
    I don’t exclude any of the TPGs as long as I like the coin.

9. ddddd

ddddd Member

@Jaelus any reason for including SEGS in your poll? That might be one slab I rarely see with world coins. I’ve seen more in PCI holders (including some that were nicely toned from the holder).

GENI is another TPG (from France) that is gaining some recognition.

Cucumbor likes this.
  10. Jaelus

I just picked the more well known/reputable graders. It's a poll so why not?

11. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

NGC for me as they have graded more world coins. If I want a crown from Morocco, I can easily find more moroccan coins in NGC holders than in PCGS, same goes to most countries.

I do buy PCGS, ICG, ANACS, etc as well.

12. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

For resale PCGS is the best. For pre 1500 AD coins I like to buy NGC .David Vagi is the best when it comes to authentication.

Theodosius likes this.
  13. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

@tibor for world? Maybe for US coins. I see NGC world coins sell very well.

14. Coinsandmedals

Coinsandmedals Well-Known Member

Let me start by saying that when it comes to buying world coins already graded, I could care less if they are in a PCGS, NGC, or an old white ANACS holder. A beautiful coin is a beautiful coin regardless of the plastic. Since I do most of my buying online and digital pictures can be terrible, I avoid the others. If I had the opportunity to examine the coin in hand, the general policy of "I could care less about the plastic" would fully apply to all.

However, when it comes to sending world coins to a TPG, I almost exclusively pick NGC. I have several reasons for this.

1. Consistency: I find NGCs grading (for English and Irish coins at least) to be more consistent than the other TPGs.

2. Variety attribution: NGC is willing to work with me to recognize varieties that are not currently listed on their website if I can provide sufficient evidence. Please note I am talking about world coins and not US coins here.

3. Customer service: I have had mostly positive experiences with the people at NGC, and they are swift to acknowledge and correct a mistake when they make one. For instance, I caught an error in my recent submission, and they had it pulled from the shipping dock, corrected the mistake, and mailed my submissions out to me on the same day. I have not had this experience with the other TPGs.

4. The holder: I know I just said I could care less about the plastic, but I find the edge view more helpful. Their edges most easily distinguish some of the pieces I collect, and if you remove this view, it makes identification more difficult.

Stork, TheFinn, Jaelus and 1 other person like this.
  15. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

@Mkman123 To maximize profits at the time of sale if you are not using PCGS for post 1500 AD coins you are leaving mucho dienaro the table. Serious money follows PCGS. This is my experience over the last 10 years.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  16. Jaelus

I buy a lot of world coins and at strong bids, and while the lion share is raw, for slabbed, I discount PCGS coins because most are overgraded by 1-2 grades. I pay a premium for NGC graded world coins for sure.

Lehigh96, Coinsandmedals and Mkman123 like this.
  17. Jaelus

I agree with these points wholeheartedly. I would also add that if you care about the competitive registry for world coins, NGC is also very responsive for adding new sets. I too have also had them make corrections and additions to their catalog, as well as recognizing varieties and patterns (with documentation). They have always come through on this.

Coinsandmedals and Mkman123 like this.
  18. Coinsandmedals

Coinsandmedals Well-Known Member

I understand your point and somewhat agree, but I wouldn't say I pay a premium or discount based on the plastic but more so the coin. A premium coin is going to command premium money. With that said, most of the premium coins in NGC holders end up well beyond my reach.

At one point, I thought I cared about the competitive sets, but then I quickly realized that I didn't care about competing. I just wanted to showcase my collection in a manner that helped spread my passion and knowledge. The custom sets allow me to do that. I do, however, see the allure of competing. At some point, I will likely put forth an effort to construct "competitive" sets just because they seem to garner more attention, which is needed if I hope to pass along what I have learned over the years. I have "competitive" sets now, but they were haphazardly thrown together and should likely be deleted.

I have never had any real issues with NGC recognizing a variety. I am in touch with them at the moment regarding one they failed to list on the holder despite me requesting it, but I have no reason to doubt that they will correct the issue. When I get my submissions back, and I get a chance to take some pictures, I will post about another experience I recently had with them.

Are you talking about their variety catalog or the price guide based on Krause? I have not contacted them about the price catalog, but that is because Krause was, in general, a train wreck when it came to early milled patterns, and this translated to the NGC price guide. Don't get me wrong, Krause is decent for general information given the breadth of their scope, but the English and Irish pattern sections are horrid. Although I also cannot say much for the Spink publications either in that regard, so maybe this is just inherent to pattern coins.

19. Jaelus

The premium is because I would be submitting the coin to NGC anyway. So I don't have to pay the grading fees if it's already slabbed. Plus there's always some risk when buying online. I might have to buy a few examples of a modern proof to get one that comes back a 69 for example, so buying one up front with a grade I trust on the label saves me money. All of that makes it worth a bit of a premium.

No, the NGC catalog. Basically their internal list of world coins that are eligible for grading. When you get a coin back that says "ineligible type" it's because it's not in the NGC catalog. You can petition to have these coins added (I try to do this ahead of submission so I don't waste my time) if you can make a good enough case for it. I'm working with them right now to get a rather lengthy list of moderns added that have a strike type they weren't recognizing.

20. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Same here.

ddddd and Coinsandmedals like this.
  21. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

My issue is simply that I don't think that any of the TPGs are very familiar with established overseas grading standards for many series. As such, I would only buy a slab for peace of mind over authenticity, not for a grade.

Coinsandmedals likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted