Best site to find value of coins?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by RoseWesche, Jul 21, 2021.

1. RoseWesche

RoseWesche Official "Crazy Cat Lady"

So I usually go on to ngccoin to try and get a value for my coins, but I was wondering if that’s the best one or not? What do you guys recommend? I mostly have U.S coins with a few world coins mixed in. Also, is there a site that can give approximate values on paper currency? In particular I am looking for values of fancy serial numbers. Thanks in advance guys. I appreciate all your help.

Mr.Q, wxcoin and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

wxcoin likes this.
  4. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

I just check sold listing on ebay to guage a general idea of the range a coin should fall into.

There's values for like insurance purposes but values as far as buying and selling have a lot of wiggle room and variables. Being set on a catalog or book value doesn't quite work when it comes to buying or selling and its more of a "at the moment" type thing.

My problem with the tpg sites is they have the auctions in there also like heritage or conventions where people will sometimes pay way more due to charity benefits and stuff which will give misleading values.

Any of the auction sites are good for "what it sold for recently".

5. Wizank

Wizank Well-Known Member

I usually use the PGCS Coinfacts app on my phone for a quick reference on US coins, and I use the Ucoin.net as my database for world coins.

6. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

Aren't many if not most of these sites only for graded coin values/prices...? I know the PCGS and NGC online price guides are only for coins graded by them in their holders...albeit a ballpark "guide" if nothing else...and I figured any auction values are similarly for slabbed coins. Always wondered why so many of the TPG online price-guide prices are usually much higher than their auction prices...inflated even above the average of auction prices. What say you all...? And as to the question, if not more specifically, what IS the best/better retail guide for raw coin values (not Graysheet but maybe Greensheet...?)...? Heck, for a raw coin price guide for the amateur/average "Joe" collector, I've just been using Red Book...at least until this past year.

7. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

i use numismedia, because they are more realistic on prices, (i,e lower than pcgs)

and i feel it is fair to my customers to offer coins at a lower price

Cheech9712 and Jeffjay like this.
  8. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I just pull a number out of thin air, like the folks on Etsy do. LOL
    Seriously, I use all of the above, but mostly rely on what similar coins sold for as a guide.

JPD3 and john65999 like this.
  9. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Trust your instinct. You will receive honest, fair, and experienced opinions from CT's finest. But in the end it comes down to you, good luck!

JPD3 likes this.
  10. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

redbook is too static, being published only once a year, and when it comes out, the prices are already 3-5 months old...online, ebay and other auction sites for prices realized, or numismedia...that is my go to

11. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

If you have your inventory of U.S. coins on the Heritage site, you can find for each coin its CDN, PCGS, and NGC values with CAC values for the grade, with prices for one grade below and one grade above. The CDN values are for both greysheet and bluesheet. The NGC and PCGS prices also have values for + grades. If you want to upgrade a coin but don't know wholesale values for it, you can add it to your inventory and get values that way. I find it a very useful tool. This looks like an interesting string for me to get a column out of.

12. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

As much as I dislike eBay more all the time I still think the sold prices reflect the market pretty well.

JPD3 likes this.
  13. RoseWesche

RoseWesche Official "Crazy Cat Lady"

Thank you guys for all the valuable info. However my one question has been left unanswered. I’m quite sure it was by accident so I will throw it back to all you experts! What would be the best site to try and find an approximate value for my paper currency? I’m particularly wanting to find value on fancy serial numbers. Again I thank you very much.

14. JPD3

JPD3 Well-Known Member

Google is the collector's friend. Try these sites if you haven't already:

https://www.mycurrencycollection.com/reference/fancy-serial-number-checker

http://oldcurrencyvalues.com/serial_numbers/

https://www.papermoneyforum.com/post/fancy-serial-number-11269679

Draft saved Draft deleted