best sheild nickel type date?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Jako lipo, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Jako lipo

Jako lipo New Member

im looking for a shield nickel in the 500-1000 range that is unc and that is sharp for type set purposes

is there any good dates that are sharp and are better dates?

it is okay if it is a proof

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

For a type set I would recommend two Shield nickels. One with rays and one without.

Maybe an 1867 with rays and an 1871. Can get both in unc for under a grand total.

Honesly can't tell you much about strikes though as it's not my specialty.

4. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

You can get a really nice one for that kind of money. CDN prices run PR63 $290; PR64 $455; PR65 $630. Proofs, not cameos.

Actual auction results are higher; I haven't seen too many that actually traded for those numbers on the retail market.

Good luck, and happy hunting ! Post pics !

5. Jako lipo

Jako lipo New Member

okay thankyou

6. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

The sheild nickels are really cool! I've got some lower grade F/VF/EX and even in those grades the detail is super! I think with the money you are able to spend you will be able to pick up a really nice one! I don't think mine even cost over $50 each.

Speedy

7. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I agree with Clembo and of course with Speedy - love shield nickels, but I have some proofs and nothing else is uncirculated. The only date I don't like is the 1882 - too many filled twos. If you want a nice looking proof go for a 1879 - you should be able to get a PF63 under 500 bucks - plus a key date. Then make sure you get 67 with rays. Somewhere on this board I posted a picture of my proof 1879 and proof 1879/8. Just my opinion.

8. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

You should be able to find a nice gem proof(s) for that kind of money. Look for ones with nice mirrors.

Finding a well struck business strike for this series is difficult, and they are very challenging to find 100% struck.

Some unsolicited advice: Please consider looking at as many coins as you possibly can BEFORE buying any, so you get a better feel for what's available -- pulling the trigger "too early" is the type collector's achilles heel. Spend hours looking at Heritage auction archives. Go to a show and look at nothing but shield nickels. Paruse dealer's websites & registry sets. See what's out there & do your homework.

There's also a good book on the series: The Complete Guide to Shield & Liberty Head Nickels By G. Peters & C. Mohon.

Wishing you good luck in your hunt and respectfully submitted...Mike

9. Jako lipo

Jako lipo New Member

thank you

i have been looking a Heritage coins alot recently at all the types i need and at the coin shows also but illl have to get that book

Draft saved Draft deleted