Best Rome republic coins to pick from Mithridatic wars?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Pavlos, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

I have a nice idea that I want to base a part of my collection on. I was already determined to get all the Amisos coins during the reign of Mithridates. However, lately I got so into the Mithridatic wars and Mithridates that I am even reading a book about it/him (The Poison King by Adrienne Mayor). I am planning therefore to get coins from all significant figures during the Mithridatic wars: Mithridates VI, Nikomedes III and IV, Tigranes II, Ariarathes IX, Ariobarzanes I, Ariarathes VI, VII and VIII but also a (or some) coins from the Roman republic.

But I know pretty much nothing about Roman coins (only some imperial coins here and there), and even less about Roman Republican coins. What would be the best coins I could pick for this purpose? Preferably under 125-150 dollars a coin since I rather spend a bit more money on the Greek coins then the Roman ones.

The most notable Roman characters during the Mithridatic wars are definitely Sulla,
    Lucullus and Pompey. Are there coins from these persons or are they expensive? If they are expensive (or better said way above my budget of 125-150 dollars a coin), what are alternative coins?

Thank you!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Andrew McCabe

Andrew McCabe Well-Known Member

there are lots of cheap coins of Sulla from that period. I think the absolute best coin for you would be the Sulla type actually struck in Asia in the period, Crawford 359. My example below. 33144797460_6d99447e19_z (1).jpg
    struck in Asia c.84 BC by Sulla.

coins of Sulla once back in Rome from 83 BC onwards are also common. Pompey only struck one early coin in this period, a gold aureus. Later coins of Pompey from the civil wars in the 40s as well as coins commemorating Sulla by his nephew in the 50s are also easily found. But I think the best is the type I illustrate. worn examples should be available for $100-$200.

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Coins Sulla, Lucullus and Pompey would be a good start.
    L CORNELIUS SULLA FELIX.jpg
    L CORNELIUS SULLA FELIX ROMAN REPUBLIC; GENS CORNELIA
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: Diademed head of Venus right
    REVERSE: Double cornucopiae; Q below
    Rome 81 BC
    3.77g, 19mm
    Cr 375/2; Syd 755; Cornelia 33

Ryro, Johndakerftw, Pavlos and 2 others like this.
  5. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

I just wrote a post on a coin that has a peripheral interest in the Mithridatic wars, but it is quite rare:

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/be...r-denarius-from-ny-to-1903-and-beyond.331174/

I agree with Andrew and Bing, those are good places to start for popular as well as affordable examples. You may also consider this type also from Sulla which can be found in affordable condition.

L Cornelius Sulla with L Manlius Torquatus 367-5 NAC 2015.jpg

L. Cornelius Sulla Imperator with L. Manlius Torquatus Proquaestor. Denarius, mint moving with Sulla 82, (3.70g, 18.7mm, 9h). L·MANLI T sideways – PRO Q. Helmeted head of Roma r. Rev. Triumphator, crowned by Victory flying l., in quadriga r., holding reins and caduceus; in exergue, L·SVLLA·IM. Babelon Manlia 7 and Cornelia 42. Sydenham 759. RBW 1386. Crawford 367/5. Scarce. Light iridescent tone and extremely fine

Orfew, Ryro, Johndakerftw and 5 others like this.
  6. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Thank you for the responses and the great advices. I will definitely first look for a nice coin from Sulla either minted in Asia Minor/Greece or from a moving mint.

Is @Bing example struck by Lucullus? I have read that this type is an "anonymous denarius" most probably minted by Lucullus in Greece for Sulla before 84 BC.

7. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Some really fun coins...but make sure to buy from a trusted seller. One of the first RR coins I ever purchased was just like @Andrew McCabe's stunning beauty, except it was a modern fake.
    CollageMaker Plus_20181118114036507.png
    But I realized it as soon as I received it (he said proudly as a newbie to ancients) and swiftly was refunded (the seller not wanting bad press refunded me and said I could keep the fakeroo).
    Undeterred, and desperate for a Sulla, I found one, within my budget (waaaay under your $150 budget), that desperately needed cleaning. I wish I had the foresight to take before pics. Anyway, despite losing some of the really cool toning visible here,
    I'm very happy with my Sulla.
    CollageMaker Plus_201845214649865.png

Best of luck building your Mithridatic coin empire!

Bing, Johndakerftw, Orfew and 2 others like this.
  8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

This is the year (88BCE) Mithradates had 80,000 Romans KILLED in Asia province...
    RR Cn Lentulus Clodianus 88 BCE AR Quinarius Jupiter Victory crowning trophy Craw 345-2 S 255.JPG

RR Cn Lentulus Clodianus 88 BCE AR Quinarius Jupiter Victory crowning trophy Craw 345-2 S 255

SULLA at the Siege of Athens:

And then he devastated the city...

Athens AE19 c 87-86 BCE Time of SULLA Athena Zeus Sear Grk 2567.JPG
    Athens AE19 c 87-86 BCE Time of SULLA Athena Zeus Sear Grk 2567

SULLA during Battle of Colline Gates (after return from Mithradates War), then takes Rome:

upload_2019-1-19_16-4-1.png
    RR Manlius Torquatus L. Corn Sulla 82 BCE AR den 17mm 3.7g Mil mint w Sulla. Roma - Sulla triumpl quadriga vict wreath Cr 367-3 Syd 759 S 286

SULLA renounces his Dictatorship (and a cool TRIGA that year!):

RR Naevius Balbus 79 BCE AR Den Venus SC TRIGA Sulla S 309 Cr 382-1.jpg
    RR Naevius Balbus 79 BCE AR Den Venus SC TRIGA Sulla S 309 Cr 382-1

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    Bing, Johndakerftw and Pavlos like this.
  9. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Mine is not as nice as Andrew's but...

Sulla denaroius new.jpeg

And this one was minted by a relative...
    Pompeius Rufus denarius.png

Draft saved Draft deleted