Best Numismatic Camera?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Kellen Coin, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Kellen Coin

Kellen Coin YN With MANY Coin Accounts

So, I know this has been asked a lot. I was just wondering-

what is the best camera for photographing coins that combines-

-low price
    - good zooming function
    -high definition
    -easy operation

Please help!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I've got a simple Canon 'point and shoot' with macro capabilities that has served me well till I bought my DSLR. Decent pictures and cost effective.

superzimm likes this.
  4. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

This is what I use. It's not high end but it's good enough for what I use it for.

DSCN4827.JPG DSCN4828.JPG

S20160218_001.jpg
    S20160218_002.jpg

green18, Stevearino and Kellen Coin like this.
  5. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I'm starting to think the camera is the least important piece of a numismatic photo setup. If people can get good-enough-for-the-web shots with an iPhone camera, that tells me the mounting/steadying setup is probably more important than the camera itself.

6. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Yes, absolutely. And I'll add one thing.......lighting.

Paul M. and green18 like this.
  7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

DING DING DING

Almost any camera on a good, solid mount will produce better photos than almost any other camera that's hand-held. A $50 point-and-shoot on a stand, as long as it has at least a basic macro function, will do better than a $5000 DSLR-and-lens combo held in your hand.

imrich, Pellinore and Paul M. like this.
  8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The fact here is you do not want the best camera but the one that fits you best. We see many reports stating that you do not need a great camera but too often those opinions are accompanied by photos that are hardly good let alone great. To be answered, the question must be accompanied by a price bracket and what use you intend to make of the photos. A full frame digital SLR will make paper prints 20x30" which 99% of us will never make. A used digital camera from 15 years ago can make 'pretty good' images for selling things on eBay. I prefer using a rack built from scrap wood costing 1/4 as much to make as it would to mail it across the street. Lights are also inexpensive to buy but require study and practice to learn to use beyond what most people are willing to put into the matter.

I have several pages on coin photography which I'd be glad if anyone read but since I only collect ancients most people will have to adapt to a different set of problems for modern issues.
    http://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/coinphoto2011ez1.html

I made the slides below for a program I did for a local club. Since many of the coins are modern, you might find some interest there.
    http://www.pbase.com/dougsmit/coinphotobasic
    [​IMG]
    Questions welcomed.

Jwt708, benveniste and Kellen Coin like this.
  9. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Let's start with, "What is 'low price' to you?" We'll go from there.

10. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

If you travel much consider a reasonable DSLR.
    Then one camera can serve a dual purpose.

Paul M. likes this.
  11. rmpsrpms

rmpsrpms Lincoln Maniac

Canon is what I recommend because from the Rebel XS / 1000D onward they have partial electronic shutters when used in Live View. The Live View software for tethering to a computer is free. Live View tethering gives Canon a strong advantage over all other brands.

A DSLR won't meet all your criteria, though. But if what you're after is good image quality, it can't be beat.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
    Paul M. likes this.
  12. HKUP

HKUP Member

After vetting many Digital Microscopes (as well as purchasing and returning a couple), I settled on a Celestron with an extended 10" adjustable stand. The quality is pretty good and based on the focal length, I can photograph Morgans and Ike's. My biggest problem, and you have all emphasized this in many threads, is the lighting. I am still working on that and I do not use the built-in led lighting which is only good for Halos on, I guess, Celestial coins. As one of you recently suggested, I will pick up a couple of the Jansjo lights from IKEA this week end, and when I feel the pix are thread-worthy, I will share some.

TJ1952 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted