Best Looking Saint-Gaudens At MS65/64 Level ?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by GoldFinger1969, Dec 20, 2019.

1. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Hey folks....I had my heart set on looking for a nice 1923-D for some time now and will definitely be scouting one out at FUN in a few weeks.

But doing some research, I saw some other coins that also looked really satiny and golden like the 1922 (I think it was an MS64 or MS64+) and the 1911-D. I already have a gem quality 1927 and 1924.

For you Double Eagle or Saint veterans with more experience than me: what COMMON year and/or mint marks for a Saint-Gaudens would you say in MS65 or up to the $2,500 - $3,000 price level would you say is going to stand out aesthetically in a case with other coins that causes you to say "Hey, that one is really nice and shiny or golden"? in a display case.

Ideally, I'm looking at the MS65 level (maybe drop down to 64 since some non-common coins show a big jump from 64 to 65) but if you can make a case for a coin even down to AU58....I'm listening. :D

kazuma78 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

I wouldn't buy a common date saint below a 65. Best looking for the price for a common date, go for a 65+/66.

4. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

In my opinion Saints are the most important coin to buy in person. There are a gazillion MS64-66 Saints out there, if you're going to buy something that common it should be one that wows you in person.

So I wouldn't limit yourself to specific dates that have the look you're after, since you're going to be at FUN you'll have literally thousands of coins to sort through and grab the one that speaks to you the most.

Good luck!

5. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Don't turn a blind eye to the Saints slabbed less than 64. There are some very eye catching 63's out there too. This happens to be one of my more enjoyable coins. The luster of this one just knocks my socks off and it is a 63.
    IMG_4044.JPG

6. GoldFinger1969

No problem with that logic, it just restricts me to those coins that avoid a big price jump at the MS65 (or 66) level.

7. GoldFinger1969

Wow...that IS a nice coin with lots of luster. What knocked it down to a 63, Randy ?

8. Randy Abercrombie

It was slabbed in the 1980's and standards were a bit stricter. If I sent it in today, I am sure it would come back 65. That's really rather meaningless for a common day Saint, and I rather like the old green holder. I should have posted this previously, but the reverse is more striking than the obverse. Wish I could take better photos!
    IMG_4046.JPG

9. GoldFinger1969

Randy, my photos aren't as good as most on Ebay or the HA photos (the best, IMO)....but what I do is I use a black tarp on a table and then use my Galaxy S9 with the close-in focus (for objects less than 18" I think, it's one of the default settings). I angle the slabs a bit using one of those Wizard wood box holders or something else (a remote ?) to avoid glare.

Hope that helps.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  10. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

This is great advice. Strike characteristics vary enough at the same grade that you want to see the coin in hand.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  11. GoldFinger1969

Oh absolutely....I've been doing alot of reading and goving over Doug's analysis of a bunch of HA Saints that I posted where the final auction prices varied a ton to be able to discern alot closer.

12. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Old holders often contain nice coins. I regret not buying a ms 64 27 that was $500 overpriced a couple years ago that was in a doily pcgs. My favorite date that’s a little better but can be had for the prices your looking at is the 1907 no motto. A lower mintage that was saved as first year of issue and can be had nice

GoldFinger1969 and -jeffB like this.
  13. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I’m a huge fan of the luster on 1914 and 1915 issues

EB7F7A19-76A0-4B42-93E0-56922FA2AB01.jpeg

Santinidollar and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  14. GoldFinger1969

15. Randy Abercrombie

This is one of those cases where you are reading something in a photograph that isn’t there. That is a well struck and quite lovely Saint. I think the luster is so deep that in a still photo, it looks like something other than luster.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  16. GoldFinger1969

You think ? Could be....but if that was the case, then I would think the asking price would have been HIGHER and not 20-25% over MS65 levels, Randy.

But another reason why on classic gold I won't spend 4-figures on a coin unless I have a return option and/or know the seller.

17. Jayyk38

Jayyk38 Member

I like to find 66's at least for more common dates on the Saint's. Heres 2 I grabbed in the past...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. GoldFinger1969

I'm shooting for a 66 for a 1923-D, Jay....what has been interesting is that the variation in quality (and price !!) is much greater than what I have seen on other commons.

19. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The grading on $20 St. Gaudens coins can be all over the place. That's why you have to buy them in person if you are really looking for great eye appeal.

@Randy Abercrombie, that 1908 No Motto Saint is really nice. That date often comes with indifferent strikes and luster. :happy: This is the first $20 gold piece I purchased when I was young collector. I bought it circa 1965. It is now in an NGS MS-64 holder. It has satin luster which is more typical for this date and variety.

1908$20O.JPG 1908$20R.JPG

20. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

There is a bit of subtle toning on the coin, which shows it is original. It graded 66 because the strike is flawless, and the luster is literally dripping off this coin. That is an amazing piece. If you were to see it in hand, I'll bet you'd wonder why it wasn't 67.

21. GoldFinger1969

Maybe, but it's kind of strange nobody is grabbing/bidding on it at under $3,000 when some 66's, 66+'s, and 66 CACs all went for $3,500 - $5,300 in the last 6 months.o_O

Draft saved Draft deleted