Best location to hunt

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Griffinv989, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Griffinv989

Griffinv989 New Member

Hi I am very new to collecting coins and the other day I purchased $10 worth of pennies from the bank. I live in Denver and almost all of the pennies were 2015 D pennies. If this because I live in such close proximity to the Denver mint or is it just the way coin roll hunting goes? Also if location does play a major roll (see what I did there;)), then would it be best to purchase rolls in places such as small towns??? Thank you

Endeavor likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Wilderness preserves. Oh wait, we talking coins here?

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Drum roll......Well yes!
    See what I did there ;)

Griffinv989 and Rick Stachowski like this.
  5. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Yes it does, mostly any coins ( 2015 ) you get there will be from Denver ....

6. Griffinv989

Griffinv989 New Member

Haha nope we're talking hunting:)

7. Garrett Haag

Garrett Haag Active Member

I have personally found that you have better luck if you can get the bags from a coin machine at a bank. They normally pan out better, you wont have the sold date issue with them.

NEmike likes this.
  8. pennsteve

pennsteve Well-Known Member

Ask for rolls in older wrappers or rolls that someone brought in to cash in. If they are nice they will ask the other tellers to check too.

9. Doug Rogers

Doug Rogers Member

You may have some luck simply asking for circulated rolls. If the teller has a cooperative spirit, they will try to find them for you. If they are lazy or have a bad attitude, they may not.

10. girldly

girldly Girldly

I found 4 pre 1964 dimes on a parking lot yesterday. Strange, yet, I am happy.

NEmike and NSP like this.
  11. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

99% of the time your attitude and friendliness will be a determining factor in whether a teller will dig out what you want. They are really under no obligation to sell you coin beyond a few rolls if you are a customer of theirs, and don't have to sell you nothing if you are not.

12. girldly

girldly Girldly

I find myself asking everyone everywhere I go for rolls, or half dollars, etc. Sometimes I get lucky and I have learned most people do not mind and are very helpful. I have received half dollars at McDonalds by asking...and all I wanted was a soda....their food has gone down hill...not that it was ever the best...

13. girldly

girldly Girldly

You know those coin machines you see at the door of a grocery store, boy, I wish I could purchase those coins....that was a great idea. It was probably by a coin collector.

14. Garrett Haag

I get the coins out of some of those coin machines you see at banks lobbies, you can get a fairly large volume of coins from them, I have something worked out with 8 banks to buy their change out of the machines. I have gotten a little over a million coins from the banks this year from that mainly in dimes and nickels and a few bags of halves.

15. girldly

girldly Girldly

Do you count them right there?

16. girldly

girldly Girldly

Great Idea....Every time I ask for a roll, I get the NEW ROLL, from now on I will ask for the old wrappers. Kudos' and thank you for another great idea...

17. girldly

girldly Girldly

When you are at the bank, do you and the teller count the change right there?

18. Garrett Haag

I just stop in when they have full bags $1000 for dimes, quardars and halfs, $200 for nickels and so forth, I just go with what they face of the bags are an I assume they are correct, normally just off by a coin or 2. I dont really understand your question

19. softmentor

softmentor Well-Known Member

the coin machine counts them for you.

20. NEmike

NEmike New Member

I was at the bank a few weeks back and asked if they had any dollar rolls. The teller said no and went on to tell me someone had brought in a whole pile of half dollar and dollar rolls. He said the dollars were " the big one's". I asked if he still had them, he said no. Them I asked if he looked through them, he again said no. NO?!! Even if they were all copper clad Ike's it still would have been a good score.

21. icollectoldmoney

icollectoldmoney ANA Member:3192499

I wish I could buy the bags from my bank they will not sale to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted