best lens for coin photography?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by brotherluv, Sep 17, 2011.

1. brotherluv

brotherluv New Member

I was a semi pro photog at one point, having done hundreds of weddings and sporting events, but never got into macro photography too much.

I'm leaning towards a Tamron 90mm Macro.

Any other lens considerstions would be appreciated.

Trying to do this on the cheap.

Currently using a Canon 10d with a old school OM1 film era Zuiko 55mm macro w/adapter.

It works, but I'm finding that 50mm Macro interferes too much with my lighting set up because I'm getting too close to the coin.

Using off camera flash FWIW

Any advice apreciated.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. LindeDad

LindeDad His Walker.

I find the 105mm works well but hate flash.
    I use a Nikon D90 with a older Nikon Nicor manual 105mm for my shots.
    Example:[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. ahearn

ahearn Member

I have used a Nikon 300D with a Nikor 105mm 1:2.8G Micro as well as a Canon 500D close-up lens with satisfactory results but, honestly, my relatively inexpensive Casio Exlim with macro capability gives equal or better results and is easier to handle. Most P&S cameras with macro should work well.

Morgan_1900.jpg Morgan_1897.jpg

5. pratt

pratt New Member

I researched macro lenses fairly intensely before settling on the Nikon 60mm f/2.8 Micro. They make the Tamron 90 for Nikon too and I read nothing but good about that lens. I also tested it in the camera store. I settled on the Nikon 60 because I was interested in that focal length for other non-macro purposes as well. I don't think that you can go wrong with the Tamron 90. Good luck!

6. lkeigwin

lkeigwin Well-Known Member

I have a 50mm, 100mm, and 180mm. I use the 180mm almost exclusively. I can bring the lights up quite high and nearly vertical to the coin which is what you want 95% of the time.

The shorter lenses I use for slab shots, or when shooting a group of coins.
    Lance.

7. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

From what I've learned is as long as it's 1:1 that will do the best. I personally am saving up for the L series 100mm

8. rev1774

rev1774 Well-Known Member

Nice example of the 1897

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I agree. Long is better for most images. It lets you do much more with the lighting.
    I'm sold on the Sigma 150 but it's a bit costly.

10. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

I use a sigma 100mm macro lens I also have a sigma 80mm

11. ahearn

ahearn Member

While we're on the topic, how do you guys photo bright uncirculated silver coins and get accurate renditions of luster? These are the ones that give me fits.

12. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

I don't know how to find them but there are several very good threaDs on how to photograph coins.

13. protovdo

protovdo Resident Whippersnapper

no love for the 50mm 1.4? :)

14. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

I prefer the Tokina 100mm 2.8 macro...gets excellent reviews all over the place and has performed extremely well so far. And not too pricey...

15. brotherluv

brotherluv New Member

I had the Tamron 90mm years ago and it worked well for cutsie/quickie ring shots w/ simple on camera flash or available light.

Sold off all my stuff.

Since the cost is not all that much difference so I will consider the Sigma in the 180mm and keep the old zuiko for a backup.

Editing 400,000+ images over the course of a few years burned me out pretty badly. Haven't picked up a camera in three years.

The fires are rekindling a bit from shooting my gun collection and now looking at my coins.

Also, I have a strange fascination with mushrooms that keep sprouting around the neighborhood... thinking there could be an artsy project in me...

16. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'm not sure Sigma makes a 180mm macro. I'm thinking they stop at 150mm macro.
    You probably know this but you will need a sturdy tripod or copystand.

17. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

I'm using a Canon 50mm with satisfactory results. With the ring flash attached, you get that "UFO about to land on the slab" effect which can be cropped out. Except on larger coins, and except on proofs... Which turns out to be a lot of exceptions. Still, it inables me to photograph coins at night, something I wasn't able to do previously. Until I got the flash, did everything using daylight, which had a whole host of problems as well. Shots would pickup the color of the room, or distant reflections from tree branches outside even though they were 60 feet above me. As for the lens itself, its a decent entry level lens costing about $265. I suspect if money were no object, I would go with a little longer lens much like everyone else seems to prefer.

. IMG_2870.jpg IMG_2865.jpg

18. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I use a Nikkor 60mm macro lens with my Nikon D90.
    No, it's not as good as the 105mm but will cover you for most cases.
    And it's a lot less expensive.

19. LindeDad

LindeDad His Walker.

Adding a little info on my lens. It is one of the older lens made for the film camera so even thought it says 105MM on it it is in effect a 150MM when used on the digital camera. These older portraits lens cost a lot less than the modern auto focus lens and since most of my coin shots are taken at fixed settings on a copy stand auto is not needed. BTW my D90 also has a 18 to 105MM auto lens for slab shots and normal use.

20. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

Auto doesn't seem to work well up close anyway. At least not on my lens. I typically have it in manual and adjust the camera (via tripod) to get correct focus.

Draft saved Draft deleted