Best "guide" for grading coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by murty, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Right, so it's not the images that are directly expensive; it's the paper quality and page count necessary to make the images useful.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Dare I say that some of the very same AI infrastructure that will be making computer grading possible is ALSO the very same tech that is helping in improving counterfeits? Tech giveth, and tech taketh away.

Insider likes this.
  4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Having had experience with publishing a book on high quality paper, with enlarged high quality photographs (150%), in full color, I can tell you that yeah it is expensive, in relative terms. But it is not so expensive that it cannot be done. And I can also tell you that the pictures are large enough, clear enough, and detailed enough so that intricate varieties can be identified.

The point is it can be done, all ya have to do is do it.

5. V. Kurt Bellman

As in just about every S/B or Heritage big auction catalog? I have never found them lacking, at least recently.

6. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

I don't think you understood my comment, or perhaps I wasn't clear.

You said "hi-res images are ridiculously expensive to print."

And, "It'd take a full page per single image."

All I was saying was that image resolution, in itself, isn't a cost factor, and doesn't dictate that the image must be printed at a prohibitively large size, dimension-wise.

7. GDJMSP

I would agree with you completely, and they have been high quality for at least the past 2 decades.

But catalogs aren't exactly what people think of when you say "coin books", even though they should be because catalogs usually contain more valuable information than can be found in most coin books. Catalogs in my opinion are extremely underrated as a valuable resource by most.

8. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I'll defer to your obviously greater knowledge of the process, but my worry was more about the extra pages involved than the cost of the resolution, with the implied idea that 300dpi has no use for a 3" image.

I post images here at 75dpi usually, and nobody complains about them. ;)

9. V. Kurt Bellman

Yup, best resource there is for higher end material.

atcarroll likes this.
  10. GDJMSP

I guess that's why I own so dang many of them ;)

11. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I had to get a stronger bookshelf for mine. Dang things are so heavy I thought it was going to break.

Paul M. likes this.
  12. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

@physics-fan3.14

So far (first two chapters), your grading book is terrific in spite of the pictures (I skipped ahead to take a look).

13. V. Kurt Bellman

30 linear feet of bookshelf space for me - auction catalogs alone.

14. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I have heard that one of the researchers at NGC has OVER 70 feet of books if you count the one's he keeps at home and the office.

Paul M. likes this.
  15. V. Kurt Bellman

Yeah, I might too if my work involved coins, but it doesn't. It involves laws.

Draft saved Draft deleted