Best "guide" for grading coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by murty, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Your point is well made; however...:angelic:

It is the words Collectors began to quit using ambiguous words like: "trace," "much," "some," "light wear," etc. long ago. With the publication of Photograde, we started to rely on photos. Ambiguous words are the way they are because EACH OF US has a different opinion of what they represent. For example: Please tell me what "Much of the mint luster is still present." signifies. When I was learning to grade and the way it is still done in Europe this would describe an XF coin. According to the ANA guide it is used now for an AU-55! below the photos which establish minimum requirements (?) for a particular grade. NEWS FLASH: In my experience the ANA Guide is rarely used by professionals. In fact, few of them EVER* used it. The photos (mostly of poor quality) are merely illustrations True, and those in Grading Coins by Photographs and on the PCGS grading guide are mush more realistic than the WORDS/PHOTOS in that other obsolete guide.

PS The intro of the ANA Guide is MUST READING for any collector both new and old.

* It is a shame because if all of us used one and the same standards (ANA Grading Guide), much of the grading problems would be solved.;)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

And what good exactly do photos do when it comes to teaching you how to grade coins ? Answer, none. Pictures, by themselves, don't do you any good at all ! Of course they do a lot of good when it comes to selling books because people think they can look at a picture and know how to grade coins.

But what people who don't know how to grade coins don't realize is that you can have 10, 20, or a 100 different coins all graded exactly the same and yet each and every one of them will look entirely different than all of the others. So how could a picture of 1 tell you how to grade all of the others ? Answer, it can't.

There are many different criteria that must be examined and understood when grading coins, with each of them having an impact on the grade. Does a picture tell you that ? No. Does a picture tell you which of those criteria are primary and which are secondary ? No. Does a picture tell you how much weight or importance each criteria has ? No. Does a picture tell you when or why 1 single thing can mean that a coin has no grade, or even what those things are ? No. Does any picture tell you, or show you, everything there is to see on any coin ? No.

So tell me, how could any grading book based on pictures teach you how to grade ? Answer, it can't.

That said, are pictures helpful ? Yes definitely. But they do not and cannot teach you what you need to know to learn how to grade coins. If you want to learn how to grade coins read and every book you can find about grading coins. Study all of them. And that's only the first step. After that you must view many thousands of coins, and all the same coins, in hand, just to learn how to grade 1 specific coin. Then you need to do the same thing with every other coin. And that means every series within every type for every denomination.

Paul M., ldhair and V. Kurt Bellman like this.
  4. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

I always thought the old Brown and Dunn book was the best ever.

Insider likes this.
  5. petronius

petronius Duke

6. DANIEL HENRIQUEZ

DANIEL HENRIQUEZ Active Member

Well, I can you the BEST book to buy for grading specs is the Red Book. I have them and the descriptions are excellent. That being said, depending on the rarity of the coin and the possible appraisal, I would send them into NGC for grading & certification. Sometimes you can do this for less than $20. Good luck.

7. effigyjo

effigyjo New Member

Hello,

Most of what everyone says relates to US coins. ANA is the standard I understand for those but what about world coins? I understood there was no "standard" for those. So what books do you use to grade those? Thanks.

8. TradingGreen

TradingGreen Active Member

Those were a lot of interesting replies. However, I bet Murty is sorry he asked the question.

I've collected coins since the 1950's and for me at that time it was sticking a Lincoln or Indian in a blue whitman folder. Sometimes I'd say oh that one looks nice or yikes that one is ugly. Then as I got a bit older I realized that I should be looking for nicer coins. Once I learned the difference between the grades someone had to screw with the system and go to a 70 point grading scale.

I do think that the onset of TPG's was both good and bad. Today many people can't grade or won't learn and they only want to rely on 3rd parties to grade for them. So they are buying the holders and not the coins. I belong to two local clubs and my fellow members always tell me that I should be having my currency graded. Oh, my, I can't go there. I know, I know. A 67 is worth less than a 70. Its a good thing I'm getting older.

But I do have an ANA photograde book that was published in 1987. It has some decent information at the end of each listing that talks about weak strikes and other interesting features.

Enough rambling for me. Keep up the good work folks. I enjoy reading your posts.

Rich

9. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Speaking for me only, I endorse fully what @GDJMSP has written above. Pictures are good AS A STARTING POINT, but only that. I don't use any book that has the words "Photograde" in it. I simply do not believe any photography based book can do anything but deceive the viewer into thinking that photos can teach grading. It is simply too simplistic. We grant 16 year olds drivers licenses to take to the interstate in the family Camry, but not a Dallara-Chevy on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Even in the QDB article, he unwittingly falls into a trap - over-obsessing on ONE ASPECT of grading a key date Indian cent, the word "LIBERTY". Is that all there is to grading an Indian?? Gawd, I hope not! It is merely the first element and only that.

ANA Official Guides - ALL OF THEM EXCEPT THE LATEST ONE ARE COMPLETELY USELESS! This should go without saying. You need to BURN all but the latest edition. IF the 6th edition were still valid, why would there be a 7th? Think about it. Then you need to READ (as in "cover to cover") the sections of the 7th edition OTHER THAN the pages where the grades are described and the pictures are there. Why? Because THAT is where the guide explains the LIMITATIONS of the rest of the VERY SAME guide. In other words, you need to "put down the technical grading concept, and slowly back away." LEARN what market grading is and why it has taken over. You don't get to debate it - technical grading is all but dead, except as a step to teach newbs.

There are myriad elements that go into any coin's grade, and yes, they vary over time. Why? Because what collectors want and value changes over time. You need to stop obsessing over any single element of a coin's condition and get "holistic" about it. Then "gradeflation" will stop bothering you so much. As long as tastes change, so will grading.

Paul M. likes this.
  10. V. Kurt Bellman

Beware, in the rest of the world, "AU" pretty much doesn't exist. You go right from XF to BU.

11. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Don't you need both photos (or in-hand examples or photo examples from experience/memory) and written criteria?

To me at least, if I only read descriptions, what I would envision in my mind as what the criteria is may look differently in-person and to others (especially on the grounds of eye appeal).

For example, if there's a weakly struck coin and I went by only the descriptions, then I'd think that coin would be a lower grade than what it "should" be.

Also, what about small scratches that are a few mm in length? On, say, a Morgan dollar it may not distract at all, but on a three-cent piece, it'll look huge, relatively speaking, and it'd deduct more from the coin's grade consciously and/or subconsciously. So, wouldn't the criteria depend not only on the written criteria, but the size of the coin?

And, if we throw in the different design elements, complexity, device and field ratio, wouldn't a given scratch, bag mark, what have you, deduct points based on the coin's specific given design? So, if it's a simple design with an off-looking toning mark right next to the bust of the obverse, eye appeal may take a hit. But if it's a complex design with lots going on, the same size mark wouldn't take as hard a hit on eye appeal, right?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    Stevearino and Insider like this.
  12. V. Kurt Bellman

And not only SIZE of any mark, but placement matters, too. Study the concept of prime focal areas in the ANA's course materials.

If one wants to learn how to grade the coins of any other country, one needs to immerse himself in that country's coins. You can't effectively learn how to grade Swiss coins by staying here. You need to go "all in".

Oh, and have a vorzüglich Tag.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    Stevearino and micbraun like this.
  13. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

I read one of ANA's guides. I do touch on placement a bit on the previous post.

Some of the questions I ask are rhetorical, though I am looking for granular answers, too.

For instance, isn't primal focus technically subjective, and the same as or similar to eye appeal?

If there's a scratch on the center bust that's agreed by all as a negative, but people see how much it should deduct as a grade differently, then at least for the TPGs they'll simply break the tie with a third grader. If we take the other grader's grade and get a different third tie breaker, it may end up being a different grade altogether. It's when we get into the higher grades that subjectivity seems to be a greater issue.

14. Insider

First off. I DON'T READ ANYWHERE IN THIS THREAD THAT ANYONE SAID YOU COULD LEARN GRADING JUST WITH A BOOK. The original question was answered. I think the Bower's book is the best guide, others think the ANA Guidelis best. One poor soul likes the Red Book! Hopefully the OP has been satisfied.

Now to answer those who decided to change the subject...

I think you just got the message from my original post! Are pictures helpful, yes. What is the best Grading BOOK; Bower's wrote it.

Someone help the new guy out.

This is very good advice; yet I believe the pictures in the latest edition may still be too strict. I'll need to buy a copy to see if they have been updated.

15. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

16. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Each subsequent edition of the ANA guide codifies the gradeflation since the previous edition, and sets the new standard. Compare the 7th edition with the 1st, and it will be very clear that the standards have changed.

I actually mostly agree with everything you have written in your post. I think that may be a first ;)

The books provide hints and guides, the pictures illustrate the words. You have to read the words, look at the pictures, and then examine the coins. The pictures serve as a reference point. They are very useful to build a framework, fleshed out by the accompanying text. Once you have mastered the basics, applying that to a new series becomes increasingly easier - but you still have to learn the intricacies of each series. That is why, even at the TPGs, not every grader will grade every series. They specialize.

I strongly disagree. The Red Book tries to do everything, so it does nothing well. It is the most general of all "references," - you really need one of the grading guides that we have mentioned previously.

Once you understand the basic terms and method for grading, you can apply that to any series from any country. Luster, strike, marks, wear... they are all still factors for world coins. The number or descriptor you apply to it might be different, but the method is the same (and is the point I have tried to make in my book).

True. There are many different scales in use throughout the world. The American scale is more refined (that is, has more points on it), than many foreign scales, but the method is the same. A simple comparison can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coin_grading#European_grading_system

17. effigyjo

effigyjo New Member

Thank you for your reply post. In reference to world coins, I have been using the grading system as described in the above link. It it concrete and a great place to start but it doesn't include things like luster, toning, scratches, etc. I believe this is close to the Krause book definitions of grading in the World Coin books. When I look at a coin I usually judge it by how much and how clear the design is after all that is what I want to see. I don't "down grade" unless the toning, scratches and wear obscures or "ruins" the overall design, but then I only grade for myself and not for resale. Is this grading thing only a disguised search for the "perfect coin" or for the purposes of making a buck? I personally like coins with some character and am not interested in the perfect coin.

18. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Yeah, I never noticed, as I've always referred to the earlier editions. Shoot. My faith in the guide has been shaken..........

Insider likes this.
  19. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

That's just not true. The 1st and 2nd edition of the ANA standards were based on the technical grading system, so yes those standards are very different. It is with the 3rd edition of the ANA standards published in 1987 that everything changed. That is when the ANA developed and adopted the market grading system, an entirely different grading system than what they had before. And for what it's worth, it was in the 3rd edition in 1987 that every MS65 became an MS63 literally overnight. In other words the standards got stricter, not looser.

From 1987 until 2005 when the 6th edition was published the standards in the ANA books remained exactly the same as they were in the 3rd. But in the 6th edition there were 2, and only 2 minor changes. One was the standard for a Lincoln cent in F12, the other for Buffalo nickel in F12, and only those 2 specific grades. All other standards for all other grades for those 2 coins remained exactly the same as they were in 1987. All other grades for all other coins in the 2005 book remained exactly the same as they were in 1987.

Now I don't have the 7th edition so I can't compare each and every grade for every coin in the entire book. But I have talked to friends who do have the 7th edition and asked them to compare a few of the standards at random to what is in the 6th edition. There were no changes, they were exactly the same.

So unless you wish to claim that changing the standards for 2 coins in F12, and only those 2 coins in F12, constitutes codifying gradefaltion, then no the ANA books do not codify gradeflation. For there have been no changes in the ANA standards, other than those 2, in 29 years.

20. V. Kurt Bellman

What you write here is true as it pertains to the grade text passages. The pictures have been lavishly updated in the 7th, and the text chapters on the diminishing relevance of technical grading are even more explicit than ever before.

By the way, the ANA course materials for their Numismatic Diploma program go another whole order of magnitude in "dissing" technical grading.

21. Insider

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

WHEN IS THE LIGHTBULB GOING ON? THAT'S WHAT WE ARE SAYING!

The Photos in the ANA Grading Guide are OBSOLETE. You and others have researched this and have PROOVED the fact! I have spoken to the folks who can make the changes and they are WELL AWARE of this "problem."

While grading standards in the coin market and at TPGS has evolved AWAY from the ANA, The ANA standards have remained constant. Anyone can have a standard and a standard should not change. However, if the standard YOU chose is not in step with the rest of us...

Remember back when all those ANACS MS-65's became MS-63's in order to get in step with what the coins were worth?

Draft saved Draft deleted