best grading service

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Allan, Nov 10, 2012.

1. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Both NGC and PCGS have their strengths and weaknesses, but both are the best in the business. Without question, NGC has the best customer service of the two. Since you said that you want to submit Franklin's, you should be aware that NGC has a stricter requirement for FBL (Full Bell Lines). They require that both sets of lines be intact, whereas, PCGS only requires the bottom set of lines to be intact. For that reason, some collectors prefer NGC when submitting Franklin's, but sellers who want to flip them on FleaBay will opt for PCGS because it is easier to get the FBL designation. PCGS is a little more expensive on their submission fees than NGC.

On the other hand, if you're a VAMpire, then you would probably want to submit most Morgan and Peace dollars to ANACS because they will attribute ALL VAM's unlike, both, NGC and PCGS who only attribute specific lists, i.e., "Top 100", "Hot 50", "Hit List 40", etc. Yes, ANACS is cheaper than NGC & PCGS and they do not require a membership fee. The drawback to ANACS is their slabs do not command the values that NGC and PCGS receive.

Chris

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. IMO, PCGS is #1. Regarding Franklins, Chris is correct that NGC is stricter on the FBl designation. However, I have found that PCGS is stricter (more conservative) on the grading of the actual Franklin half dollar. TC

4. blu62vette

blu62vette Member

And also what series.

I have my reasons for saying PCGS is the best. I know some of the employees better, they hold better market value and it is the only holder I want in my collection. Just my opinion.

ICG should not even be considered.

5. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Unless they are in the 65/66 Full Bell Line, I'd save your money.

6. Danr

Danr Numismatist

I have been picking up slabbed moderns and I can ABSOLUTELY CERTAINLY state that many of what NGC calls ms 67 would not be ms67 with PCGS. This is not a theory this is fact. PCGS are tougher. That being said it may be better to entrust you coins to NGC you may get a higher grade.

7. Atarian

Atarian Well-Known Member

This really doesn't help you with your Franklins, but ANACS will also grade a lot of stuff that the others wont - like the Daniel Carr 'Tokens'.

8. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

If you are thinking about certifying coins simply to know the grade then you are making a big mistake, in my opinion. It is far easier, quicker and less costly to learn the grading parameters of the major (PCGS and NGC) grading companies by simply looking at hundreds upon hundreds of already certified coins. Sending in a few coins, or a few dozen coins, will set you back serious money and only give you a limited pool of data.

9. Allan

Allan Member

Cameo or not

Do ya'll thank this 1958 would make it as a cameo

Attached Files:

10. cpm9ball

In all cases with no exceptions?

What about the Lincoln cent that PCGS graded MS70 a few years back? What a joke!

There are no absolutes in coin grading.

Chris

11. Danr

Danr Numismatist

I am stating (with absolute certainty) that many ms67 NGC coins would be graded ms66 by PCGS. For example the 2012 ms67 Acadia s quarter will get $200+ in a PCGS holder--but the same grade in an NGC holder gets $25+-. I bought a couple NGC "ms67" examples of this coin to check and sure enough they were not what I consider ms67.

12. rockford

rockford Member

I send in all my common and comemoratives to Anacs. Love 'em. Great price, great holder. Anything rare or high end i've learned to buy allready slabbed by PCGS. I've been screwed over for thousands of dollars by PCGS by sending in raw coins to get ****ty grades or BS "problems".

13. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Sorry Doug.

Opinions are like Jackasses.......everyone's got one. Well....at least in Biblical times.

Some how it just don't have the same effect........:devil:

14. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Definitely not. PCGS or NGC. I like both of them pretty equally.

15. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

Weak cameo, but it should be enough for a CAM designation. It wouldn't get DCAM due to the motto, rim lettering & Franklin face.

16. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

PCGS and NGC , each has their strong points and weaknesses . Like Danr stated PCGS is tougher on 67 Lincolns and thus will command a higher price , do they mess up once in awhile yes but they get it right more times than not . Still it's better to learn to grade yourself especially what you collect .

17. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

You've heard it already from many, but I'll share my opinion on the matter as well. From my experience in looking at probably hundreds of thousands of certified coins at various auction lot viewings over the past several years I would rank PCGS as the top company right now with NGC a very very close second. I regularly buy coins from both services and feel most of their grades are reliable, but if I had to buy one of them blind, I'd pick PCGS. ANACS is a distant third in my opinion, especially their new holders. I very rarely buy the new ANACS graded coins. The older small white ANACS slabs are much better and many deals can be found in those holder however. ICG is a way distant fourth and I probably have only bought a couple of ICG graded coins in the past several years.

Again, that is just my experience, others will have different opinions based on their experience.

18. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Do you have a local coin shop?
    Go there and get their opinion on the grades. I'm sure they would help you.

If not go to your local coin club as that would have many people that would help there too.

19. cpm9ball

Oh, I understand now. You've cited one example out of how many millions of coins that have been graded, so it is an absolute certainty.

Also, there are many here who would probably tell you that paying $200 for a 2012 quarter in MS67 is ridiculous anyway.

On another note, what I like the least about PCGS is that if you say anything negative about the company on their forums, you're history. On the NGC forums, you can say whatever you feel, they keep their mouths shut and go on about their business.

Chris

20. Danr

Danr Numismatist

I really just come to this forum

21. cpm9ball

Dan, no offense intended, but I think the price differential you cited only illustrates the fact that some people are fools paying $200 for a modern MS67 especially since it is a 2012. Just wait! As soon as a few people submit specimens that grade MS68, the price for those MS67's will fall like a boulder off a mountainside. And, there are many, many instances over the last 50-60 years to support something like this occurring. You can start with the 1903-O Morgan from the Treasury releases of the 60's.

Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted