best grading service

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Allan, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Allan

Allan Member

i am going to have some coin graded and i would like know who ya'll thank is the best out of the top 4 pcgs, ngc, anacs, icg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Clint

Clint Member

I recommend doing a search--NOT to be a jerk--as this has been covered so much, you will gain tremendously by reading those threads information which simply won't be expressed in a single one. That said...

Many will say PCGS and NGC are "top tier," with PCGS being the higher. This is because for many series they grade more strictly, which results in typically higher prices when the coin is sold. However NGC has a great reputation as well, so knowing what coins you have would help...

ANACS is a step behind those two, and I've heard ICG called "I can't grade." So if you're having your own coins graded, it's probably best to choose one of the other two. There may be a situation in which ANACS would be O.K., like if you merely want to authenticate 10 coins and need to take advantage of a deal they have going due to finances--I read about 10 for $130 or something like that.

AND I certainly defer to all those on this site who know so much more than I!

4. Allan

Allan Member

5. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

Right now ANACS is offering 10 coins for $119 with free shipping back to you. Also you don't need to join any groups or clubs to submit.
    If you can get to a coin show with an ANACS rep set up there he can mail your coins to be graded for no shipping charge to you.

6. Allan

Allan Member

so you thank anacs is the best out of the 4

7. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

IMO
    1 pcgs
    2 NGC
    3 anacs
    3 1/2 icg

8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I favor PCGS above all. After that, NGC, Anacs, and ICG......

9. Allan

Allan Member

10. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

I never said that! I can say they are the most inexpensive out of the top three. I have no idea on ICG pricing.
    You will find numerous people that continually badmouth ANACS.
    I happen to like them as a grading service for several reasons. The first is because I deal with the rep directly at a local monthly coin show.
    Paul Joseph the ANACS representative has quite a good knowledge of coins. He will ship my coins to get graded for free.
    I mostly do not sell any coins but just want to know they are authentic. For this I think ANACS is useful. There was a recent article about how ANACS found a fake 1934 Peace dollar.
    If I were a dealer and my first concern was reselling at maximum value, then I probably would go with PCGS or NGC.

11. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

for me;

NGC
    PCGS
    ICG
    ANACS

12. Clint

Clint Member

SO, are you going to tell us what the coins are?

13. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

The best you ask? Well that would be NGC

14. Allan

Allan Member

1948 - 1963 Silver Franklin Half Dollar

15. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

As you can see, Op, opinions are like edited. Everyone's got one........:)

16. Clint

Clint Member

And...what are the main reasons you want to have them graded?

17. Allan

Allan Member

to know the grade

18. Clint

Clint Member

Hmmm, I highly recommend you get a copy of the ANA Grading Standards by Whitman and a magnifying glass. This will be a LOT less money AND you'll learn a lot more.

19. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

You're better off getting the PCGS photo grading book.

I think it's called "The OFFICIAL Guide to Grading Coins" or something similar. Also, get 7x or 10x loupe.

20. Allan

Allan Member

lol i have done that now i would like a nonbias opinion

21. giorgio11

giorgio11 Senior Numismatist

For me,

PCGS
    NGC

But I have been in business for 50 years and know how to grade. So I buy coins instead of slabs. But for most series, not all, PCGS slabs do bring more money. I think one reason is their grading does tend to be a little tighter and more consistent, for example in Lincoln cents.

But I have also seen examples where both PCGS and NGC miss the boat, and even miss the ocean it floats in. So many people rely on slabs instead of learning how to grade, and they miss major opportunities by that dependence. Top graders who can spot undergraded coins (or dealers who can spot overgraded coins) can make/save themselves a ton of money!

Learning to grade for oneself is the best investment in numismatics you can make. It is also a lifetime learning process. So start now!

Best Regards, :hail:

George

Draft saved Draft deleted