Best grade to collect for Peace Dollars?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ThatGuyTony, Dec 12, 2017.

1. ThatGuyTony

ThatGuyTony Member

I was wondering the best affordable grade to collect in the peace dollar series. Preferably 75-150$ range per coin. Thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

In that $ range VF25, but you'll find it difficult to find a 1928 for that price range.

ThatGuyTony likes this.
  4. ThatGuyTony

ThatGuyTony Member

VF25? I feel like investing more into the MS-60 grade is worth it even if it’ll take longer.

5. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

Honestly, I think you'd do well with AU58s.
    You'd only have three in the series that would top your price range.

Jaelus, dwhiz and ThatGuyTony like this.
  6. ThatGuyTony

ThatGuyTony Member

Ahh okay I’ll see. It’s been a couple years since dealing with coins now so I’m not up to date with prices yet.

7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

At that price range I would go with MS63. Only a few that will run you more.

Rheingold likes this.
  8. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Buy the best that you can afford.
    And preferably MS-63 or better although AU-58 is quite good.
    You may have to save a bit longer to get each coin but in the end it's worth it.

fish4uinmd, ThatGuyTony and dwhiz like this.
  9. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

Numismedia (admittedly high) at MS63 puts over half of the series at over his budget with some exceeding his budget by a very large margin.

ThatGuyTony and dwhiz like this.
  10. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

An MS60 set will cost you $7,000-10,000. MS63 will also fall into that range.

ThatGuyTony likes this.
  11. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

I keep all of my coin purchases in spreadsheets — halves in one, dollars in another etc — and took a look at my Peace dollars. All but one of mine are raw coins, and most of them would fall short of MS status. A few, though, are spectacular coins, particularly those from the later 1920s. Most of mine were purchased three or four years ago, so the pricing may not jibe with what's going on today. My average price paid for all of the ones I have came to $31.52; after removing the 1921 and 1928 coins, the average falls to 27.44, so this is probably in line with current prices for nice coins, regardless of grading.

12. dwhiz

The important thing is buy what you like, there are some really nice ones in all price ranges.

Mr. Flute, Gregg and ThatGuyTony like this.
  13. JAY-AR

JAY-AR Well-Known Member

Tony, I've been purchasing Peace$ for a couple years now, have about 400 of various dates. I've purchased all from eBay and most, under $40. I have very few that grade under XF and most grade AU-MS. Of course your 21, 28, 24S, 25S are going to be substantially higher in XF-MS grades, but, you can get some really nice lower MS for under $50. You just have to be patient. (These would be raw of course..) Good luck and welcome to CT!!!!!:happy: PS, you can find some common dates slab by PCGS, NGC at MS63 and 64 fur under $70

14. dwhiz

My set is also a mix of graded and raw. I do self slab, since a lot are not worth sending in to be grades. I keep them in a Eagle album that holds slabs.

ThatGuyTony likes this.
  15. dwhiz

AU-58 is the sweet spot, I've seen many that are much nicer than many 60-62 coins.

Mr. Flute, JAY-AR, Jaelus and 2 others like this.
  16. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

This. I've got a slabbed 58 that has better eye appeal than a 65.

dwhiz and JAY-AR like this.
  17. JAY-AR

JAY-AR Well-Known Member

True dat dwhiz and Jaelus!:shame:

dwhiz likes this.
  18. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

LA_Geezer likes this.
  19. JAY-AR

JAY-AR Well-Known Member

Great point Fish, and the 27S gets a little tough in the higher grades as well.

20. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Don't dwell on having a matched set in a single grade. Buy nice 64s of the common dates and attractive lower grades of the tough ones. My 28 is a nice AU58, and I would be happy with a 24-S and 34-S that looked like this. You may have to put off purchases of the more expensive ones a little, but you'll like the coin better than a VF or problem "place holder" coin.

Here's my AU58 28:
    [​IMG]

21. JAY-AR

JAY-AR Well-Known Member

Sweet 28!

ThatGuyTony likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted