Best Edward VIII fantasy coin?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by GregH, Nov 8, 2020.

1. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

I’m compiling a one-per-British-ruler portrait collection from 1066 onwards. For the 19th and 20th centuries I’ve been able to obtain some lovely crowns at a decent price, and I’d love to have a fine style Edward VIII crown to fill a gap in my collection.

Unfortunately the genuine coins with Edward VIII portraits (which are all patterns) are a little out of my price range, so that leaves fantasy coins.

Almost all of the Ed VIII fantasies I’ve found are proof-like or uncirculated base metal pieces that look like they were minted yesterday. They don’t have the look and feel of a genuine 30s coin like the Art Deco style George V “rocking horse” crown.

So my question is - what Ed VIII fantasy coin do you think is the best one? Show me your fantasies! :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Examples of fantasy crowns I’ve found:

1)
    254EA807-0FDF-4FFD-BB97-0520A358C2E2.jpeg I think the portrait is a bit off. And it doesn’t have the 30s look and feel.

2)
    D52BDA10-62B9-4793-AE89-AB19568D8236.jpeg
    Reverse design is way too modern.

3)
    E5EF2FA2-45E1-4EAE-B851-468BC6AE3568.jpeg
    The portrait here is closer to what I’m looking for - nice style.

ffrickey likes this.
  4. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Something is off about all those three. Sort of reminds me of newer Lincoln cents vs the older ones. Same design, but just doesn’t look “right”

5. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

I know! Hence my quest for the right type. There must be more realistic Ed VIII fantasies out there!

6. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

1946 Issue, X#M2b. 28.1g silver, 38mm.
    world coin (67).JPG world coin (66).JPG

I also like the Richard Lobel Series as it has the collared neck and also has dots/beads for a denticaled circumference.

7. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

If memory serves me right, I thought that there were some Edward VIII colonial coins (albeit without the portrait) available for not too much?

offa the saxon likes this.
  8. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

I've always been partial to this one. Unfortunately, it is no longer in my collection but I enjoyed it while I could.

Cey193605.jpg

alurid and GregH like this.
  9. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Correct. But I want portraits :).

10. brg5658

brg5658 Well-Known Member

Here are a few in my collection:

1972 Pobjoy Mint
    [​IMG]

Hearn pieces (original proof and proof like restrike):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The INA Retro issues from 2000-2001 are also quite nice - I haven’t photographed any of my examples of those. For example X-100 and X-99 (see this link).

11. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

An Edward VIII fantasy crown for Southern Rhodesia:

[​IMG]
    Southern Rhodesia Fantasy Crown 1937 - Edward VIII
    Silver, 38mm, 23.98gm

:)

GregH likes this.
  12. Deeboy121

Deeboy121 New Member

Hi new to this site and came across this chat. I came across this coin in a collection that was handed down to me. I’ve found little info on this coin. If anyone can help, I’ve had it valued and been told it was minted 10 or less. But any more information anyone has I would be very grateful

Attached Files:

13. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

This is one of the three gold versions I got from the Spink Patina Sale of 2001:

tempImageFIwuni.png tempImageZoUrbW.png

brg5658 and 1934 Wreath Crown like this.
  14. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

The Duke and Duchess, in their later years I guess, fantasy sovereign

Edward VIII Fantasy Sovereign Obv.jpg

Edward VIII Fantasy Sovereign Rev.jpg

15. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

That is some sovereign there. Hope it is good gold....

1934 Wreath Crown likes this.
  16. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

Thanks. These guys are notorious for poor quality photos ;)
    Most times the coins are much better in hand.

That wreath crown reverse is lovely but the portrait not so realistic. IMHO the two Hearn pieces posted by @brg5658 have great portraits.

brg5658 likes this.
  17. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

LOL

Yes that obverse really spoiled the coin

brg5658 likes this.
  18. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

Not 'Fantasies', but - although technically NOT a coin, I do have an Edward VIII Coronation Medal which is (roughly) the size of the Crown.
    (The Coronation never went ahead, of course.)
    (I apologize for the photo quality, but it is 1:15 am here at the moment and I am about to, deservedly, head for bed.)
    Magical Snap - 2021.01.19 01.09 - 036.jpg Magical Snap - 2021.01.19 01.09 - 037.jpg
    As (I believe) no coins, in the name of Edward VIII went into circulation in Britain, one has to look further afield to find a coin with his name/title
    upon it.
    I do have a coin that bears the inscription - "Edward VIII King of Imperial India", however, it is a coin from British West Africa. It is unknown to me if any other countries issued coins in his name.
    Magical Snap - 2021.01.19 01.05 - 033.jpg Magical Snap - 2021.01.19 01.05 - 032.jpg

19. The Eidolon

The Eidolon Well-Known Member

Fiji issued Edward VIII pennies dated 1936. No portraits, of course. At one point a local shop had a big bag of Fiji pennies and I picked out one for each ruler for like a buck each. Fiji 3 Kings copy.jpg

20. brg5658

brg5658 Well-Known Member

I have seen that obverse before, but every time I see it anew it really scares me. :D

21. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted