Best Designs for Modern Coins?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by kaparthy, Jul 16, 2019.

1. ddddd

ddddd Member

Any reason that you don't like the ones with more than one color?
    I don't love all of them equally (I'm collecting the whole set), but I do find the 2015 to be a pleasing example of two colors.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

I think the US Mint did an excellent job with the Apollo 11 commemorative. I actually bought one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kaparthy likes this.
  4. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Matter of taste, which there is no accounting for anyway. :D For some reason I like bimetallic coins but am not a fan of "multicolor" coins, no matter what technology is used for creating the color effect. So when the Austrian Mint came up with their 100 schilling silver/titanium coins in 2000, I found those interesting, and the first silver/niobium coins I considered to be a modified continuation of that series. Those I wanted to have.

The newer ones ... let me put it this way: If a sculptor uses color, it can be interesting, see Niki de Saint Phalle's works for example. But I prefer a sculpture, its shape and design, to speak for itself.

Christian

ddddd likes this.
  5. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Ha, that foot I know. ;) The French mint used it on its 2009 issues (some of which were already dome shaped). This is another thing that I find "difficult" when it comes to such collector coins: You can create all kinds of effects and gimmicks, and some look really cool - but for me, coins are still primarily means of payment. Would I want a dome or cube shaped €2 coin in my wallet? Nah ...

Christian

6. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Some collectors greatly admire this Dolly Madison commemorative silver dollar. Tiffany & Co. was involved in the design.

DollyDolO.JPG DollyDolR.JPG

ddddd likes this.
  7. ddddd

ddddd Member

That's fair.

I like the titanium ones as well. I have the 2000 and 2001 in my collection (it's too bad there was a gap year in 2002 before the niobium ones started in 2003).

Draft saved Draft deleted