Best Consignment Auction House?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by chaparralian, Apr 7, 2022.

Tags:
  1. chaparralian

chaparralian Active Member

With all these high hammer prices, I'm considering selling a 5 or 6 of my Roman and Greek coins through an auction house. I'm considering CNG as it is in the US, I've had good experiences dealing with them, and their process seems to be explained well. Anyone have any experience with them, or suggestions how to proceed? I'd greatly appreciate any thoughts.

Below are a couple of the coins I'm considering selling.

1. Antonius Balbus denarius, Rome, 83-82 BC. Juniper.jpg

2. Fonteius denarius, Rome, 108-107 BC. With galley.jpg

sand and Mammothtooth like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Iepto

Iepto Active Member

Contact the firms with an idea of the consigns you're consigning. Roma and leu typically ask for a photo of the coins. Bigger value consignments generally get better terms. Covering shipping is also not rare with higher value consignments. I personally consign with CNG, but I'm in direct contact with one of their employees. General process should be the same, though.

4. Mammothtooth

Mammothtooth Stand up Philosopher, Vodka Taster

Those are really nice…..

chaparralian likes this.
  5. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

I sold the majority of my Parthian collection through CNG a few years ago. I found them helpful and easy to work with, and was overall quite happy with the whole process. There was a bit of a gap in communication between the time I sent my coins in and when they showed up in auction, but that is normal as it takes time for them to properly catalogue coins, and there is also a backlog of previous submitters. I haven't consigned with other companies so can't compare them, but I'd definitely recommend CNG.

sand and chaparralian like this.
  6. pgrapes

pgrapes New Member

Hello there, I am a first time consignor of an old coin collection passed down from a family member many years ago. It includes ancient coins from the Persian Empire (several caliphates, Elymais, Sasanian, Khwarezmian, Gurkan, Ghaznavid, Qajar, gold dinars, etc), but also pieces from the Byzantine Empire, various Sultans, etc. I have spoken with CNG and Stacks Bowers, both who are interested in consigning. But as someone very new to this, the online auctions and houses are endless for reselling and its difficult to choose which will yield the best results at auction. In general, is there a preferred auction house for ancient coins? What advice do experienced consignors have? Thank you!

sand, Curtis and paschka like this.
  7. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

For those kind of coins, among USA auctioneers, I might also consider Stephen Album (all kinds, but they specialize in Central Asian coins, whether ancient, Islamic/medieval or later). CNG & Stack's are both great options.

Depends partly on the value of the coins. If they're high enough value (estimates over $1000 each), I would try to get them in CNG's Triton (highest value, once a year in January) or Feature Auctions (also with a print catalog & live auction w/ bid caller & audience).

For coins with more average values (say, ~$50-500 each), they'll probably end up in an e-auction. I would think results would be comparable across those three, so I would go with whoever offered the best terms.

8. pgrapes

pgrapes New Member

Thank you!

sand likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted