Best Company to get coins graded

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by icollectoldmoney, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

I'm not a fan of SEGS.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Those must be dinosaur dog years.

Chris;);)

Andrew Snovell likes this.
  4. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

The choice of company largely depends on your coins and your intentions:

If you want a cheap company to put plastic around it, use ANACS. They aren't terribly well respected, and they are rather inconsistent, and your coins won't sell for nearly as much. But at least they'll be in fancy cases. The one area that ANACS does well is variety attribution.

If you have ultra-high grade moderns and want to milk as much money as you can from Registry suckers, go with PCGS.

If you have coins eligible for strike designations, or world coins, absolutely go with NGC. NGC is much stricter on strike designations, and people who collect them will pay a premium over any other slab for NGC's strike designations. NGC is also by far the leader for world coins - why people send world coins to PCGS is a mystery to me.

For pretty much anything else, either NGC or PCGS is fairly equivalent.

Silver Planet likes this.
  5. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

I completely agree. PCGS fanboys end up doing this I suppose. Maybe 5% of the slabbed world coins I buy happen to be in PCGS plastic for some reason and I always cross them to NGC.

6. icollectoldmoney

icollectoldmoney ANA Member:3192499

So NGC is the company to use when having coins graded then.

7. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

I collect about a 50/50 mix of US and World. For World, hands down, NGC is the best overall choice. For US moderns, I'd go with PCGS every time. For classic US, I think it's really on a series-by-series basis as to which one is better. Having said that, I think there are some classic US series where PCGS is a poor choice, whereas I wouldn't say that regarding NGC.

If I had to pick one TPG to use for all coins overall I would pick NGC. They have the best customer service, the best quality for world grading, and their affiliation with NCS for conservation puts them over the top for me.

8. icollectoldmoney

icollectoldmoney ANA Member:3192499

Yeah I am about to get a ana membership so that would help out on my grading also since ngc has a contract with them

Andrew Snovell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted