Best Company to get coins graded

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by icollectoldmoney, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

Why fork over money for permission to submit coins?
    I use ANACS.

rzage likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Either NGC or PCGS for selling then ANACS for authentication . But I wouldn't send your coin in as the spots would prevent it from getting a high enough grade to warrant it .

4. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

The coin you show sells for about $20 on eBay. The only way I'd get this graded is if it looked like it would grade 66 or higher (I miss the days when I could type "66+" to mean that). Even then, I'd be sinking a lot of the coin's value into grading fees, so it would have to be part of a bulk order at PCGS or NGC with my attribution added or maybe send it to ANACS. If keeping it for my own collection, I'd look for a graded one and see if I could sell the raw one for close to the cost of a graded one of the same quality level. If I simply wanted a nice holder, I'd use the 99c Coin World slab holder, make my own label, and be done with it.

5. icollectoldmoney

icollectoldmoney ANA Member:3192499

Well the the guy I bought mine from sent one in and got a MS 66 from NGC so the pictures do not give the coin justices.

6. Onofrio Bacigalupo

Onofrio Bacigalupo Well-Known Member

I grade my own coins. I've been collecting for sixty years before the "grading companies" came into existence. I sell coins on Amazon where there is a better class of buyers than Ebay. I've been successful at getting the prices that I want.
    I suggest that all of you rebel against the grading companies by reading "New Photograde, A Photographic Grading Guide for United States Coins," by James F Ruddy, 1970, Library of Congress Card Number 78-132061, and grade your own coins. In fact on Amazon, there is a seller's place for "grading provided by" right above "grade rating."

7. icollectoldmoney

Yeah I have graded a few also but I aways think a grading service will give me a better graded

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

You have to pay for a membership for either PCGS or NGC in order to submit coins yourself. For PCGS you have to join their membership club, for NGC either their membership club or the ANA (ANA is cheaper, but an ANA member submission can't be tracked online like an NGC member submission can.) For ANACS and ICG you do not have to join a membership.

9. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

I doubt the guy you bought them from sent you 66+'s, he probable kept those for himself. But, you never know, unless you can consistently identify the grade for yourself, before wasting your money on grading.

If you don't own examples of different grades of graded coins to compare, you may be able to tell from good pics on eBay, but I haven't seen any NGC graded 004's yet.

I have heard that NGC is grading the 004 errors, but I have not heard that PCGS is grading them yet.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  10. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I can only speak for NGC, but the yearly membership fees can be used to submit coins. It used to be a voucher for 5 coins, now it's 3 coins in std tier...

11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

When it comes time to sell coins in ANACS & ICG slabs, you won't get as much money for them.

Chris

Silver Planet likes this.
  12. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Let's see. That would make you about 105-120 years old, but you're personal info indicates that you are 69. Hmm.

Chris

Silver Planet and NSP like this.
  13. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Silver Planet and medjoy like this.
  14. Silver Planet

Silver Planet New Member

I feel ANACS has been relegated to the periphery of the hobby. Even if the quality of their grading is entirely defensible, coins in their slabs sell for less. At the ANA show, their booth was a ghost town.

15. Silver Planet

Silver Planet New Member

Is that an actual figure based on some metric, or just a casual observation?

16. icollectoldmoney

Yeah I probably will only use NGC or PCGS

17. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

ANACS is useful for grading exonumia and varieties not recognized by NGC and PCGS, and they are more flexible with special labels. Having said that, their slabs are incredibly unattractive, they are extremely liberal when giving out details (even when a coin is market acceptable), and their grades are too lose.

I strongly prefer NGC for what I collect (and always cross PCGS coins when I get them), but for US moderns, I would stick to PCGS.

Tater likes this.
  18. icollectoldmoney

Well thanks for the help I am going to find a pcgs dealer and send them in under them to get graded

19. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Neither one really. It would be more accurate to describe it as the best educated guess that the leading names in numismatics could come up with based on personal observation of coins offered to them for sale over a long period of time, and those rejected by the TPGs.

Silver Planet likes this.
  20. Andrew Snovell

Andrew Snovell Active Member

Is SEGS every going to be ok'd to be listed on Ebay. From what I understand they are pretty good with attributing varieties correct?

21. Onofrio Bacigalupo

Onofrio Bacigalupo Well-Known Member

I was old while the Earth was still young!

Draft saved Draft deleted