Best Company to get coins graded

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by icollectoldmoney, Aug 19, 2015.

1. icollectoldmoney

icollectoldmoney ANA Member:3192499

What is the best company to get coins graded by price wise also by the way they grade the coins it will be first time for me to have coins graded so I am needing some advice.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CeJota13

CeJota13 New Member

PCGS is considered by some to be the best in third party grading. Although NGC is also a very good third party grader. As far as price, PCGS is a little higher than NGC. NGC and PCGS are both pretty good options as far as grading goes. Any of the other third party grader tend to be inaccurate and inconsistent and they can be dismissed solely based on their holder. NGC economy costs 17 while PCGS economy costs 20. I would recommend going with PCGS as they have been pretty accurate and fair when grading my coins.

Silver Planet likes this.
  4. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

Price wise ANACS is reasonable.

5. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I like the look of PCGS slabs for most coins. I like NGC for large silver coins. If I'm planning to sell them soon, I use PCGS.

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I prefer PCGS, then NGC, then ANACS in that order.

8. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

Plus 1

9. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

10. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

If you look back at old threads asking the same question, and there have been hundreds of them over the years, the consensus is going to come up to be about 50/50 for NGC and PCGS.

Now what you should really be asking yourself before you ever ask which company is better, is should these coins even be sent in for grading ? More money has been wasted on coins that should never even have been submitted for grading, than has been spent on those that should be graded.

You should also realize that 80% or more of all raw coins are problem coins, coins that will not be graded at all once they are sent in.

12. Collecting Nut

Thank you. Just my personal preference.

Rheingold likes this.
  13. icollectoldmoney

Oh ok which one do you have to become a member before they will grade your coins.

14. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

15. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

What do you want to get graded? Pictures might help us help you determine whether it's worth it or not.

16. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I think what Doug means is that you should have a pretty fair idea in your own mind of how to grade any coins you want to submit. Just because a coin is "shiny" doesn't mean it will grade a high MS, and we've had a lot of beginners say that they have a coin in really good condition just because it was shiny. I'm not saying that you are one of these beginners, but I mention this just as a precaution. Can you tell the difference between an MS64 and an MS67 or MS68? The differences in condition between an MS64 and an MS67 may be very slight, but where value is concerned, the gap could be considerable. In other instances, an MS67 might not be worth the cost of grading, but in MS68, it could be very profitable.

I think what you should do before submitting any coins is to buy a book on grading such as the ANA Grading Standards for US Coins and use it as a guide to help you learn how to grade.

Chris

Silver Planet and swamp yankee like this.
  17. Collecting Nut

Not every coin should be graded. For example, I have PCGS and NGC graded coins in nice well labeled holders. They are graded MS-67 or higher. Some are Kennedy Halves, silver and clad. I paid less for the graded coin than the price to have them graded. Someone lost money but it wasn't me.

What I'm saying is a higher grade coin may not be worth the price of the grading fee. Yes, higher grade coins usually bring higher prices but then a lower grade coin with a lower mintage may be more feasible to grade. Hopefully this helps.

18. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

For me, it's NGC, PCGS and then ANACS as a distant 3rd.

swamp yankee and Jaelus like this.
  19. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Agreed. I have seen so many dogs in PCGS slabs, wondering if people really pay for the coin or rather for the slab&label... personal preference left aside, in my opinion PCGS are much stricter for seated and bust coinage. So I'd say it depends on the series...

JPeace$ likes this.
  20. merrill01

merrill01 Member

The only thing about PCGS or NGC is that you have to join them. I like ICG or ANACS

21. icollectoldmoney

Couple pictures of coin I want to get graded .

Attached Files:

swamp yankee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted