best company to buy "UNSEARCHED" wheat penny bulks?

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by UrbanHunter, May 28, 2015.

1. UrbanHunter

UrbanHunter Member

does anyone have any suggestions?

ebay sellers pretty much all lie so if you have any recommended sellers, i'd much appreciate it!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

None of them.

they are all already searched.

want to buy mine?

Gilbert, UrbanHunter and paddyman98 like this.
  4. UrbanHunter

UrbanHunter Member

hahahahaha
    even the bank rolled penny rolls? one company says that their 25.00 boxes are still string sealed, whatever that means lol

5. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Yeah... NONE.

Also, machine rolled means nothing; certain bank/CUs can do it for customers, or in the case of a seller selling single salted rolls, it can fairly easily be done by hand yet still appear (on the surface) to be machine rolled. Whatever coins you would wish to find in such offerings, if an either/or type situation, you're better of buying as individuals.

rzage likes this.
  6. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

I bought a bulk of wheat cents once. Definitely overpaid initially, then found a 1942 DDO and essentially paid off half of the bag. It was fun sorting through them and I did get some RPMs as well along the way. Obviously no key dates were found.

7. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Local coin store that only cherrypicks out the best dates IMHO. That is what I did 15 years ago. I have all but 7 or 8 dates in the bags I bought from them. Those were the only dates paying attention to back then unless the coin was in high grade.

8. Sean the Coin Collector

Sean the Coin Collector Active Member

My best suggestion is to do is roll hunting from local banks, you may not find a ton but you can find rare dates and cool foreign coins and god knows what else!! Also you aren't paying a premium for the wheats just face value!!

9. Treashunt

I have about $50 in dug Wheaties, any one interested?

Not sorted.

:)

[Mods: J/K of course, about the offer, but I have the coins.]

UrbanHunter likes this.
  10. Sean the Coin Collector

Metal detected ones ?? hahhaa i have a good sum myself

UrbanHunter likes this.
  11. Treashunt

Yeah, I have about $50+ worth.

I should just dump them at the bank

12. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

Dont most dealers pay like 2-3 cents? Why would you dump them?

13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The only place where you are guaranteed to get unsearched rolls and bags is from the US Mint.

Chris

14. Sean the Coin Collector

Just sell them on the forum even in the crusty condition they come out of the ground in you should be able to get at least 2 cents for them !!

15. UrbanHunter

UrbanHunter Member

can y'all tell me about "key dates"? lol
    sorry for the noobness

16. Treashunt

purchase, and read: The Guide Book to US Coins AKA: The Red Book.

If you are going to try this hobby you have to read.

Then buy a grading book, Whitman has a very good one

rzage and UrbanHunter like this.
  17. Packrat

Packrat Well-Known Member

Last summer I bought over 78,000. Lady had wrapped up 355 rolls by date and got tired of looking at pennies. I counted the rest with my coin counter and carried them out in bags and gallon jugs. Sold them to another dealer before I left the county. He said he already had about 250,000. Unlike ebay sellers, I did not have any with silver dimes or flying eagle cents on the end of the roll.

18. VarietyCent

VarietyCent Member

Try this guy Coin Collecting Enterprises. Great guy to deal with and definitely unsearched. He will need a heads-up for larger orders of zinc/copper orders. I ordered 1kFV zinc cents a couple years ago and wouldn't think twice about doing it again if I had more free time.

19. UrbanHunter

UrbanHunter Member

thank you.
    i'll look into his wares!

20. UrbanHunter

UrbanHunter Member

sadly looks like he's sold out :(

21. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

There is no reason to be sorry, but might I respectfully suggest you out all thoughts of buying any type of rolls (other than at face) or really any coins in general and instead purchase even a basic numismatic reference? The RedBook, even an older edition, would make for a fine starting point, allowing you to learn some of the basics before removing any cash from your pocket. Most every new collector will purchase coins they later regret.It is simply part of the game, and you will lose money as well, but doing what is reasonably possible to cushion the blow would be a wise choice on your part.

This is not directed solely at you, sir, but for whatever reason, there is a very high percentage of new collectors who seemingly fail to grasp the factthat knowledge is key to this hobby. The same people who would never even think of walking into a garage believing they can pull one over on the mechanic will basically do just that with coins. Don't fall into the deal mentality trap as it will be you, not the experienced seller, that will pay in the end. There are no free rides here.

UrbanHunter likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted