Best Coin Magazine for me

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by recoinect, May 4, 2016.

1. recoinect

recoinect Member

Years ago, (around 50), LOL...I remember seeing coin magazines on most store magazine racks, but not anymore! I realize that coin collecting as a hobby is waning so that coin magazine distribution has become limited mainly to online sales.

I just canceled my Coin World subscription. Although the presentation, layout etc. is of high quality, I cancelled because the contents were largely dedicated to advertisers and articles seemingly directed to higher end collectors with million dollar budgets. Most of my purchases are $25 on the low side to $2,000 on the high side.

The question I have is: Are there any coin magazines that cater to the average collector such as myself?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I enjoy the ANA magazine.

I know what you mean about Coin World.

4. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Coin World for me

5. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

What kind of articles do they have? I'm hoping they don't have ads and don't take up half the issue with a useless price guide, at least. :) I've been considering becoming a member recently, so this is just out of curiosity.

6. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

In the age of the Internet, you're already participating in the best possible "coin magazines" available. Unlike their print counterparts, you can ask questions and receive answers in real time, and speak directly to the foremost experts in any given discipline. The only advantage in print these days lies in opinion and long-form research pieces, and those are quickly becoming electronic as well.

I'm sorry (truly; I loves me some newspapers), but the usefulness of the printed word is dying.

19Lyds, recoinect and Santinidollar like this.
  7. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

But, trees are a renewable resource. Save electrons! Read dead trees! :p

bdunnse likes this.
  8. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

The Numismatist has ads but is chug full of interesting articles. However, it is not those huge dealer ads touting every imaginable coin. Nor does it waste space with price guides. (Coin World's price guide is on the Internet for free and easy to use.)

Paul M. and recoinect like this.
  9. recoinect

recoinect Member

"I'm sorry (truly; I loves me some newspapers), but the usefulness of the printed word is dying"...... SuperDave

Like you, "I loves me some newspapers". Now every novel I read is downloaded on my Kindle, but I miss the feeling of holding a book in my hand...therefore, I will subscribe to a new coin magazine, and buy more candles in case the power goes out!

bdunnse likes this.
  10. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I can't really blame you. I still buy and read books, even though I own a Kindle.

davdo and bdunnse like this.
  11. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

When I think of picking it up COINS magazine was one of my preferred reading from the magazine rack, though they are getting pretty ad have too. But all time favorite is The Numismatist

Paul M. likes this.
  12. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

I subscribed to Coin World, Coinage and Numismatic News. I'm letting them just expire because I don't need the ads or price guides. I don't want to read articles about the latest US or world mint issues nor do I need to read another article about Morgans, Lincolns or the 1804 dollar.

I have so far resisted the Kindle, even though my wife and kids use them, and read actual books.

Paul M. likes this.
  13. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Look, it doesn't matter what magazine you read as each one of them is going to tout and publicize some high dollar coin sale or auction since this is the way that folks get "attracted" to coin collecting. After all, what's better than printing that some fellow bought a piece for a $100 and then, 15 years later sells it for $10,000?

Or what about the pocket piece finds? All these are designed to "attract" people into the possibility of hitting it big.

Get enough of these stories out there and eventually folks start subscribing.......

If you read the columns put out in Coin World and Numismatic News, you can extract some valuable information which just might get you to go through your collection just "one more time" in the hopes of finding some elusive variety.

I subscribe to Coin World since it pretty much fills my current needs. If I wanted more, I'd subscribe to Numismatic News but as was stated earlier, the absolute best source of information today comes from Coin Chat Forums. No ifs, ands, or buts. When folks find something, they'll usually post it.

It's why I continually come back.

14. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I love the Numismatist , and hate reading anything not on paper . I don't think books will ever die out , they may diminish in numbers but I don't nesasarily believe it's an improvement . And learning on the internet is fine if you can get through all the people giving out false or bad information . Also you can't read a laptop or iPad for long if the electricity goes out . As our electrical grid keeps aging without major upgrades we'll have more and longer outages from storms . Then I'll grab a real book and a candle and read . Though I guess you could rig up a charger to a stationary bicycle charge up your device . lol Nah it wouldn't be the same .

Draft saved Draft deleted