Best coin cleaner?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Write2bfree, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Write2bfree

Write2bfree Active Member

Trying to get recommendation on products. Thank you.

Few examples I would like to clean

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

The second one and especially the fourth one from the pictures are beyond repair. The picture on the fourth especially looks to be eaten away at all ready and nothing can save that.

Paul M. likes this.
  4. tpsadler

tpsadler Numismatist

I would not attempt to clean any of the pennies(Total exercise in futility). Put the 1963 and 1994 in a coin book. Go to bank or grocery store give them those two looser pennies and ask them for 2 new ones. Now you don't have buy cleaning solutions and tools that will not work any better than rubbing them on a carpet. Next time you get some extra change see if is better than 1963 or 1994 you now have , if so replace them and take the old one to the bank or grocery store and do the same thing ..good luck When collecting anything you have to work smarter not harder :)

Please don't clean any coins you are planning to keep.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  5. mac266

mac266 Well-Known Member

Rule of thumb for most collectors: Never clean any coin!!!

In rare instances, some valuable coins can be conserved by a professional service, but one should not do it themselves. In 99.99999% of cases, my advice here is sound. Very, very experienced collectors will try the occasional dip, but for the most part, stay away from it. This is ESPECIALLY true with copper, because any dip will often leave an unnatural pink tone, making every collect

6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Oh, the humanity!

green18 likes this.
  7. 05Wildcats

05Wildcats Well-Known Member

I occasionally use olive oil to try and soften the crud on wheat cents. I just let them soak a couple of days. Does not work real well but helps remove loose dirt. Good luck.

8. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

keep the '63 and spend the others, get a few rolls from bank and find better examples...

9. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

10. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

The best coin cleaner is someone who only approaches the task with the greatest of reluctance and reverence for the subject. That's the difference between cleaning and conservation. I will answer the OP's question with a question: Which of those coins should not be touched?

Answer that right, and I'll show you how to clean them safely. :)

11. Colonialjohn

Colonialjohn Active Member

12. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

there is a new product out...best thing for ALL coins..."Don't Clean IT"...comes in a 4 oz bottle or spray.

13. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

The 1967 is actually a good candidate for experimentation if nothing else, but it's the only one of them needing conservation and it's beyond actually "saving."

14. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

I'll actually answer the question asked. We all know "never clean coins" especially ones of value.

For copper coins - I have read several threads on Verdi-care. I have never used it, I am not recommending it. I have read several posts saying it is good for copper coins.

Some of the coins shown are zinc and I have no idea on whether this will do more harm or not. Please do research - and don't trust what I say. Test it yourself.

I'm sure you're aware that by now - you can seriously de-value a coin by cleaning it. If you are just cleaning them up for your own personal enjoyment - well - who are we to judge.

15. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

First thing I thought when when I saw the title.

16. Thorpeuser

Thorpeuser Long time collector

I have cleaned some of my less valuable coins using windex and my fingers to remove the grime that most coins have from being in circulation. Then drying them gently with a micro fiber cloth. It does improve the luster and brightens them up a bit.
    Comments are welcome.

17. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Never clean a copper. In many cases, hazy proofs can be restored by: 1. prepare a solution of 50% clear ammonia with 50% distilled water. 2. dip the coin several times [never touch coin with anything!] 3. rinse the coin thoroughly under faucet then again in distilled water. 4. dry the coin with a hair dryer.

This method is fast, inexpensive, and easy. It works very well with silver proofs, especially well with hazy Ike proofs from brown boxes. I have restored many ugly Ikes to a pristine proof look!

Diplodocus likes this.
  18. tpsadler

tpsadler Numismatist

Draft saved Draft deleted