Best Camera

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by financeman, Apr 9, 2010.

1. financeman

financeman Lincoln Cent Connoisseur

hey guys, I was do a search on the forum and could not find the info I was looking for. I was wondering what the best camera is for taking good quality pictures of coins. I would like to get a digital SLR.
    I have read the post about numismatography. There was a lot of usefull info on how to take pictures and differant lighting but not much about the best camer and lense for the job.
    On a side not, I dont want to break the bank in buying a camera either so I would like to find a good starter camera that takes good pics but is not terribly expensive.
    Thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Numismatist47

Numismatist47 New Member

Digital/SLR cameras with a 18-55mm lens is over $600, depending on manufacturer.

I use a Cannon Rebel myself.

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

You really can't go wrong with any of the low-end Nikon or Canon DSLRs.

5. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I recently purchased a small Canon PowerShot SD1300IS which I found useful for carrying on travel & also shooting coins. The price tag was just over $200 including sales tax.

6. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

The camera I use is a Canon 40D. I recommend spending the money to get a good lens as well. I got a nice 120mm Macro for about $300... well worth it. Don't neglect your lighting as well it is very important to have good lighting.

7. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Lost Dutchman takes fantastic coin photos almost every time. I selected the small Canon so I could carry it in my pocket & take snaps like these. This 1935 coin photo was actually my first shot with the Canon set to macro & hand-holding the camera above the coin with two Reveal light bulbs overhead.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The last photos are of sights (sites) in Greece & Romania.

8. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Kodak Brownie is my favorite ;)

9. your cat

your cat A kitty cat

I either use a Canon Rebel (DSLR) or a Canon Powershot (SD880)

10. se-collectibles

se-collectibles Collector Extraordinaire

It's not the best camera, but I use a 10 year old Sony Mavica FD-85.

11. Bluetip84

Bluetip84 Likes Toned Coins

I have a Canon Rebel T1i and i love it. The trick is to buy good quality lenses because 9times out of 10 that will make a good camera great.

12. your cat

your cat A kitty cat

Or of course, a scaner works really well.

I have attacted a picture of a scanned coin, partly to show the detail and party to show of my coin :D

Attached Files:

13. Ahab

Ahab Member

Or Pentax, best bang for the buck. These people are good to deal with:

http://www.keh.com/;)

14. Numismatist47

Numismatist47 New Member

I have the Cannon Rebel Xs1 and two lenses came with it on a package deal, 18-55mm and a 75-300mm zoom.

15. Shoewrecky

Shoewrecky Coin Hoarder

I have the model below that, the XSi whish is all you will need for coins :)

I now want to get a macro lens :goofer:

16. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Remember those old box cameras? They were fun and easy to use but digital is so much more fun. Don't have to drop the film off at the local 1 hour photo....

17. financeman

financeman Lincoln Cent Connoisseur

Thanks for everyones comments. I just want to get the best camera I can but not be broke completely afterward

18. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Sorry old fellow. Forgot to mention mine....Cannon Powershot SD 1200.

Reasonably priced and it takes nice pics. :D

19. silvrluvr

silvrluvr Senior Member

Get a variable power stereo microscope with a decent USB eyepiece or trinocular port camera. You will get good pics and you will LOVE the microscope and seeing your coins in 3-D for the rest of your life.

20. silvrluvr

silvrluvr Senior Member

Stereo microscopes make loupes look pretty lame...especially while you're holding a coin right up to your eye and breathing all over it...not good.

21. snaz

snaz Registry fever

I use a Nikon D60, but would suggest buying a D40. Same camera, same quality shots, but a couple hundred cheaper.
    And of course, as everyone said before, it's all in the lens.

Draft saved Draft deleted