Best buy on no mintmark coin

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Old Error Guy, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Old Error Guy

Old Error Guy Well-Known Member

I hope this is the right forum.

I ry to collect single examples of each error type and, generally, I'm not concerned with date or denomination. Anyway, can someone give me some guidance on the best buy on a no mint mark (where the mint actually failed to put it in the die) U.S. coin.

Thanks......

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

It depends on what you mean by "best buy." Probably the least expensive is the 1982 no P dime. You can get a superb gem for somewhere in the neighborhood of $300.

Relative to rarity, it might be the 1968 no S proof dime (if you can find one and afford it -- only a few are known and they sell for several thousand dollars), or, more accessibly, the 1983 no S proof dime. Probably around 2000 of the 1983's are known, and you can obtain a nice example for around $800-$1000.

Edit: The 1990 no-S proof cent is also somewhat available. You can find it for a few thousand dollars, so it falls in between the 83 no S dime and the 68 no S dime.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
    swamp yankee likes this.
  4. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

By "best buy" do you mean cost vs. scarcity/popularity/potential/value etc, etc? Is it safe to assume the 1982 dime is not to be included?

5. Old Error Guy

Old Error Guy Well-Known Member

Primarily cost. Nothing excluded at this point.

6. Paul M.

You definitely want the 1982 no P dime, then. They exist in grades from F12 to MS68, and are quite affordable.

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The "no mintmark" coins are considered varieties rather than errors.

Chris

swamp yankee likes this.
  8. Paul M.

I'd disagree with that. IMO, errors happen accidentally while varieties happen intentionally. Forgetting to apply the MM punch to the die is definitely an error.

9. cpm9ball

Well, I guess you can argue that with Fivaz, Stanton, Potter, NGC, PCGS, ANACS & ICG. However, I'd also argue your claim that varieties are intentional. How can you claim that FORGETTING to apply a mintmark is intentional? I'd like to see you prove that! Was the '55 DDO intentional?

Chris

10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Depending on what you're looking for I'd consider the 1922 Lincoln cent. It has style, grace and age. Can be had for under $1000 in a nice XF or less for lower grades. 1922 Lincoln Cents were only made in Denver that year. This date also offers a weak D variety if that is to you liking. Too many choices.

11. Paul M.

You've got it twisted around. I'm defining varieties as intentional and errors as unintentional. That makes 55 DDO an error, as well. Wexler calls them intentional and unintentional varieties, which I suppose I could live with as well, because it acknowledges unintentional varieties as errors, which is what I was getting at.

12. Andrew Snovell

Andrew Snovell Active Member

13. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Just in my opinion, i define an error as a one of a kind coin cause no two errors are identicle. Whereas a variety is a slight change in design that differs from the original design, intentional or not, that can be found on a number of any given coins of the same year and mint. An exception to this i guess could be the dollar/quarter mule coins which are classified as errors but 13 exist that pretty much are identicle....

This is how i define it but not everyone thinks like me.... yet.

14. cpm9ball

So, you're saying that a Mint employee got ticked off and intentionally put a dent in the die of the 2005-S Silver PF SQ. Is that right?

2005-S KS Silver SQ FS-901.JPG

15. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

Varieties aren't intentional. A 2000 cent with the reverse of a proof wasn't done intentionally. There are intentional error coins out there though.

16. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Some consider the 2004 D double ear dime, intentional same as the low leaf and high leaf reverse Wisconsin Quarter

Draft saved Draft deleted