Best bang for the buck (Saints)

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by vpr, Mar 1, 2015.

1. vpr

vpr Active Member

I recently went into an LCS to send some Double Eagles in to PCGS and we had a nice long conversation about Saints. I mentioned that I was planning on raising some cash to get a 1907 HR and he made a very good point. Why would you pay those prices for something that is so widely available even in high grades? He felt that the HR was way overvalued. So, that definitely got me thinking. What Saint dates and varieties currently give the best bang for the buck?

I eventually want to put together a complete set of Saints (except probably the 1933 and 1907 EX-HR). For now, I'm just buying any better dates I can in MS62 or better.

Any comments, suggestions are highly appreciated!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. vpr

vpr Active Member

And for your trouble, here is a pic of a pretty Saint from my collection. : )

[​IMG]

mark_h likes this.
  4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Best bang for the buck ? Guess that depends on how you define that. Common date Saints graded as high as 63 and sometimes even 64s now, can be purchased for a small premium over melt. That's how I'd define best bang for the buck.

GoldFinger1969 and fireguy83 like this.
  6. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

IMO raise your minimum grade to MS-63.
    Consider AU-58 instead of MS-60 thru -62 if MS-63 pushes your wallet too hard.

I don't know how "widely available" the HR's are.
    And, yes, they are overhyped and therefore relatively overpriced.
    But there are LOTS of coins in that category.
    I got mine in AU-50.

7. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I find this a VERY sensible (and true) opinion.

8. vpr

vpr Active Member

Thanks. For example, the 1924 has a PCGS pop of over 100K. And the 1908-d has a pop of only ~4k but can still be had for just slightly more than the 1924... So it seems to be that the 08-d is a much better buy.

9. vpr

vpr Active Member

I try to keep everything at MS63 or better but I've been finding really good deals at the MS62 grade. Just picked up a 1908-D MS62 for $75 over spot.

10. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

For some coins, you are going to be dropping 5-figure sums to get them in MS grade. Even AU will be pricey for some years.

Treat yourself to an MS-65/66 in one of the common years as a treat. :D

Yankee42 likes this.
  11. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

If you look at a 1907 High Relief you can always go higher up the food chain to an MS-rated coin (I presume you were looking at AUs). You separate yourself a bit but you'll be paying 5-figures for a good MS-63 or higher.

Draft saved Draft deleted