BEP announces new products

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by SteveInTampa, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

There's not much data to go on yet, but that would be one of my first guesses, yes.

But if it's 1000 notes per position, then in order to get 20161xxx in position D2 and 20162xxx in position E2, the printing had to start with 20160001 in position C2. That leaves exactly ten positions missing at the start of the run, from A1 to B2. Could they have printed 2015xxxx notes in the K..B and K..C blocks and then never gotten around to releasing them for some reason? o_O

johnny2dollar likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. johnny2dollar

johnny2dollar Collector of BEP $2 notes

What do you think of the 6500 set limit?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

4. johnny2dollar

johnny2dollar Collector of BEP $2 notes

The lucky sheet I ordered came in the mail today. Mine, too, is from the P block

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

5. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

With help, I've been able to get all 8-subject sheets of the 14 blocks, K-B through K-P.

6. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

K 20162451 B Position E2
    K 20162451 C Position E2

I don't know the plate number.

7. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

That's looking like quite the accomplishment. For a while there, plenty of the sheets were turning up on Ebay by block, but there don't seem to be as many of those listings left now.

I was hoping to put together a set of single notes from all the blocks, but my plan was to wait until prices went down a bit--instead it seems like supplies have dried up entirely. :confused: Eh well, maybe one of these years.

I wonder whether the BEP will ever actually sell out of the sheets, and whether there are any K..Q or K..R sheets waiting to be found....

8. SteveInTampa

Just ordered a 50 subject sheet of Dallas $1's.

9. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

Do let us know what the serialling looks like. The 32-subject uncut sheets were always numbered on different presses than the circulation production, since COPE started cutting the sheets before numbering them. I don't think we have any idea whether the same will be true for the 50-subject uncut sheets. If they're numbered on LEPE just like the circulation printings, it's going to be a real pain trying to identify the serial ranges used for the uncut sheets, since on LEPE the serial skip between positions is always just 100 no matter the run size....

10. SteveInTampa

Received my 50-subject sheet today, and the serial numbering is different from anything I have seen before.

Traditionally, the lowest serial number on a 32-subject sheet is upper left corner (A1), and the highest serial number is lower right corner (H4). This sheet has the lowest serial number in the upper right corner (A5) and the highest serial number is in the lower left corner (J1). The serial number skip, left to right is negative 1000, and the serial number skip, top to bottom is plus 100. The lowest serial number for the sheet is K95235016E, and highest is K95239916E.

Upper serial number (A1) is K95239016E, the serial number to the right (A2) is K95238016E, (-1000). The note directly below A1 is K95239116E (+100).

The sheet seems massive. It's 27" tall by 31" wide, with an extra wide margin bordering all four sides. Front plates are all 64 and back plates are all 46. The BEP shipped this in a cardboard box containing a cardboard tube. I originally thought the serial numbers would be above 96000000, but they are below. Sheet is from the BEP Fort Worth Facility.

11. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

Oh bother.

So, yes, that's the standard LEPE numbering: 100 serials between positions, and columns taken in right-to-left order. All the $1 circulation printings are numbered that way now (so for example serial number 00000001 now lands in position A5, rather than A1).

But not only is this sheet numbered like a circulation printing--it actually *is* from a circulation printing! The end of the K..E block, using serials up to 96000000, appeared in the December 2015 BEP production report. So the BEP is now printing the uncut sheets in sequence with the regular production for circulation, something they haven't done since 1953.

Has anybody seen any 2013 $1 K..E notes in circulation? If we can find fairly high serials that are circulation issues, that'd help to constrain the serial range used for the sheets.

Meanwhile, now that there are modern sheets with unremarkable serial numbers, watch out for fake "miscut" errors to start surfacing on Ebay and tripping up folks who think all sheets are numbered above 96000000.... :(

chip likes this.
  12. chip

chip Novice collector

thanx for the heads up

13. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

Bounds so far: K67..E is the highest seen in circulation, and K9480..E is the lowest seen on an uncut sheet. Can anyone help close the gap? I doubt that more than a few million serials were used for the sheets, so there ought to be circulation-issue notes up into the K9..E range, probably.

14. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

Update on that: K8344..E is the highest seen in circulation, and K9480..E is the lowest seen on an uncut sheet. Anybody have anything in between?

15. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

Another update: K9380..E is the highest seen in circulation, and K9480..E is the lowest seen on an uncut sheet. So the gap is down to a million serials; can we get it any smaller?

Also, back on those Texas $2 Step sets: has anyone seen serials that *aren't* either 20161xxx or 20162xxx? If all sets issued so far really fall into that small range, then I don't think the BEP will ever sell 6500 of these things.... :(

16. SteveInTampa

I haven't seen any Texas $2 Step notes not 20161XXX or 20162XXX yet and I'll be on the lookout to see if we can close the serial number range on the 2013 $ K-E block notes.

17. SteveInTampa

*The BEP July print results came out today, and I was wondering if anybody can explain this ?

Series 2013 $5 from MK96000001* - MK 99200000* 10,000 sheets.

What will these be used for ??
    Will the BEP maybe start selling Star sheets again ??

18. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

You're off by a zero: the printing was MK09600001* - MK09920000*. Easy to do since the BEP reports list the serials without leading zeroes. :confused:

It's a perfectly normal run of stars for replacement sheets. Stars listed as sheets this way are left uncut, and used to replace errors that are caught before their sheets have been cut--a whole sheet containing misprinted note(s) is replaced by a whole sheet of stars.

In the past, the BEP sometimes did take some of these star sheets and divert them for public sales in the BEP store. But they haven't sold star sheets since Series 2004A, so I'd be surprised if they started that up again now.

19. SteveInTampa

20. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

Bumping this thread to say that I've made no further progress in six weeks. Please do let me know if you run across any 2013 $1 notes between K9380..E and K9480..E, in sheet form or otherwise. (Meanwhile, the *highest* sheet I've seen so far was K9583..E, so it seems pretty likely that the sheet serials extend all the way up to 96000000.)

Also, still no sign of Texas $2 Step sets outside the 1xxx and 2xxx range, or of Lucky Money $2 sheets beyond the K..P block; but both of those products are still on sale in the BEP store.

21. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

Small update: 2013 $1 K9427..E has been seen in circulation. So the cutoff between the circulation printings and the uncut sheets is somewhere between that number and K9480..E. If anyone can narrow the gap further, from either side, please do let us all know!

Still no progress on the Texas $2 Step sets, and still no additional blocks of Lucky Money $2 sheets.

Draft saved Draft deleted