Bent half dime

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Razz, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

So I got this for cheap off the Bid Board and when I got it home noticed it is A bit bent. Easier to see at 3-6 o'clock on the reverse.

It is so thin is there any chance to "hammer" it back flat or some how fix it or is it pretty much better left alone? PhotoEditor_20190614_212051761.jpg PhotoEditor_20190614_212136332.jpg

George McClellan likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CircCam

CircCam Victory

I don’t think you have to worry about hurting it much in that condition... don’t “hammer” it but I’d put it between two soft cloths and flatten it with something.

I did that with a bent three cent silver once to make it sit right in a Dansco... got the job done.

Side note- man, just think of what that coin might have been present for.

4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

It happened a lot to half dimes and 3c silvers, since they were such thin little coins. I dug an 1854 half dime with my metal detector once, which was bent nearly double. I was worried about breaking it when I tried to straighten it, but after some careful work, I was able to straighten it it to about where yours is now, though it has a permanent crease mark (and an old hole) in it. Still was a fun find.

The ones I have successfully straightened were done with well-placed hammer taps, with the coin placed between layers of padding for shock absorption. For the padding, thin pieces of wood or thick pieces of leather would do. I would imagine even cardboard or cloth with some thickness would do as well.

Just put the coin inside the padding and on top of a firm, level, flat surface, and tap it gently with the hammer, periodically checking on your progress as you go.

Your best case scenario here is probably just a matter of making the bend less distracting. The coin is always going to be a minor "problem" coin, most likely, but it is not that bad, and yes, I think with some careful work, the tricks I just posted might work to straighten it a little.

5. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I have an acquaintance that uses 2 straps of leather and a vice to straighten slightly bent coins. I've used a rubber mallet and a towel a couple times with mixed results.

lordmarcovan and Razz like this.
  6. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Thanks all for your help!

7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Leather and a vice work really well. It's a safe way to not create more damage to the coin. A small press is good as well but you have to be careful to not over do it.

8. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I have a wristwatch press that might work! Thanks for the suggestions, I figured you all would have good ideas!

9. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I don't have a vise, so I didn't even think about that. Yes, if you have one, that's gotta be better than hammering, given the proper padding to protect the coin.

10. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I'm not a metallurgist, but maybe a light heating of the metal would help. Not like a torch, but maybe warm it in an oven?

11. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

interesting idea, but I would avoid heating. Oven temps aren't going to do anything. You would have to get closer to the melting point and even then, you would have to apply some pressure.

As others have said, A bench vise and 2 pieces of leather (old belt) should work with the least chance of causing additional damage

12. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

I have a number of vises (vices?). All the foregoing sounds like good advice to me. I also have straightened a few coins in such fashion.

lordmarcovan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted