Belgium.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Siberian Man, Aug 6, 2010.

1. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

And it is still there. :) It was closed for renovation roughly between mid-2004 and early 2006. The Belgian mint even issued a €2 commem for the re-opening.

As for holed coins, another reason for making them was to save material. If you have a central hole, you need less metal. But of course that limits your design options.

@Siberian Man: The 5 fr coin with the abstract portrait of Baudouin/Boudewijn I find quite attractive. Much better than the sober 20 fr piece that you also showed here ...

Christian

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

I got it today: Leopold I, 5 centimes 1856, copper.

Attached Files:

• 85.jpg
      85.jpg
      File size:
      85.5 KB
      Views:
    • 86.jpg
      86.jpg
      File size:
      86.4 KB
      Views:
    spirityoda likes this.
  4. silvereagle82

silvereagle82 World Gold Collector

I like it ... nice pickup

5. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

Beautiful coins everyone. I have a good friend who is from Flanders. They speak Dutch there of course. This is my favorite Belgian coin in my collection. I have very few.

It's in French, and sadly the only reverse photos I have are discolored. I like the caduceus on the reverse, and the obverse is quite beautiful on this type, mine is not the best example...

Attached Files:

6. bart

bart Senior Member

This type is known as "Belgium wounded". It was issued after WW I and the kneeling person represents the nation wounded by WW I.
    As, in this issue, it was the first time for higher denominations (50 centimes and higher) to be struck in another metal than silver (i.c. nickel) the words "Bon Pour" or "Goed Voor" (= Good for) were added, to show the population these coins were equal in value as their silver predecessors.

7. dctjr80

dctjr80 Senior Member

One of my recent acquisitions.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. dctjr80

dctjr80 Senior Member

A couple more Belgian coins!

Here are 2 more that I enjoy in my collection.

Attached Files:

9. Siberian Man

2 francs 1904, silver .835, weight - 10 g., mintage - 400000. Leopold II.

Attached Files:

• 92.jpg
      92.jpg
      File size:
      83.4 KB
      Views:
    • 91.jpg
      91.jpg
      File size:
      90.5 KB
      Views:
  10. Siberian Man

Albert I.
    2 francs 1912, silver .835, weight - 10 g.

Attached Files:

• 95.jpg
      95.jpg
      File size:
      111 KB
      Views:
    • 96.jpg
      96.jpg
      File size:
      96.4 KB
      Views:
  11. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

spirityoda likes this.
  12. Siberian Man

I got it today. And got it very cheap! This is the first mint of the Belgian 10-centimes coin. Copper, 1832, VF. Krause "says" that this coin is value about 150$, but I got it for 88$ only!

Attached Files:

• 97.jpg
      97.jpg
      File size:
      93.7 KB
      Views:
    • 98.jpg
      98.jpg
      File size:
      94.7 KB
      Views:
    spirityoda likes this.
  13. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Eugene, the Lion is very nice. I like it.

14. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

IMG_7575.jpg IMG_7576.jpg IMG_9786.jpg IMG_9788.jpg

Here are a couple Saxe/Colberg 5 Francs of the "Butcher of the Congo." :eek:

15. jcakcoin

jcakcoin New Member

The only coins I have from Belgium are Euros

16. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

17. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Some kind of superiority complex at work? :p Anyway, the Belgian euro and cent coins are fairly dull. All eight denominations show King Albert, but every few years some detail gets changed so that type collectors are "forced" or tempted to get new ones. Their commems are somewhat more interesting. This one for example has a domain name as its main feature ...

[​IMG]
    (Image: worldcoingallery.com)

Christian

18. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

LOL Christian, I never miss a chance to tweek the "bluebloods." :yes:
    IMG_1046.jpg IMG_1045.jpg

Speaking of incestious hillbillies. :devil:
    WHOOPS wrong reverse

19. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Nice coins. :) Well, I am not a monarchist, nor would I want my country to be a kingdom or anything like that. But we should be fair - in Europe it is, even in the monarchies, not the king or prince etc. who makes the political decisions but the elected government. (Belgium is a little difficult these days as it has an elected federal parliament but, for about a year now, no government that is backed by a majority in parliament ...)

In a previous post http://www.cointalk.com/showthread.php?t=122975&p=966969&viewfull=1#post966969 Silberian Man showed us the (20 and) 50 centimes coin featuring a miner. When in 2006 a collector coin was issued to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Bois du Cazier mine disaster in Marcinelle http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...um_10_Euro_Catastrophe_Marcinelle_front_A.JPG a very similar miner's head was depicted in the foreground.

Christian

20. Mark14

Mark14 Star Wide Receiver

Just out of curiosity.. does anyone have the 1916 10 centimes? i wanted to compare the color of mine to one that was in better shape,

21. 1066merlin

1066merlin ANA#R3157534

Glad this was bumped, great coins everybody! BUT, no one mentioned beer, the best ales in the world come from this small country. I love Belgium, it's a beer snobs Disneyland :yes:

Thanks Siberian Man!

Draft saved Draft deleted