Belgium 5 francs 1838

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Joshua062000, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Joshua062000

Joshua062000 New Member

If I joint the incorrect forum, please forward and/or let me know which one would be the most suitable.
    The following coin I purchased via Bidorbuy.co.za (South Africa's version of eBay.com)
    Belgium 5 francs 1838 XF+
    Krause catalogue (2007): KM #3.1 .9 Ag 37 mm 25 g
    5209x minted valued @ $ 6500.00

After some in house measurements:
    This coin is underweight (21.2 g vs 25 g)
    diameter match the 37 mm
    edge is raised / smooth and has NOT the Incuse or raised lettered edge Lettering:
    DIEU PROTÈGE LA BELGIQUE *
    My density calculation: (in house test versus
    a SAU 1948 5 shillings ( 80 % Ag ----- 9.759)
    gives me a value of 7.85
    (i.e density of Ag = 10.49)

Please assist and/or guide me through a verification process and some back-up web page information.

(Extra info: the seller of the coin bought the coin also via bidorbuy.co.za and sold is at a loss to me!
    extra pictures & info: http://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces255.html

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. World Colonial

World Colonial Active Member

Your question is unrelated to this topic. I do not know where you live but I certainly would not have bought a Belgium coin (especially ungraded) from BidOrBuy in the price range you implied. I have occasionally bought SA coins from BoB but would not buy any others.

4. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The coin shown is VF at best, not EF. It is also a fake. The weight is typical, as is the slightly off centre appearance. The probable reason the seller sold at a loss was that they discovered it was a fake.

5. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

A new thread in the World Coins section would be best to properly discuss this piece. Here we show off and discuss items that are outside of circulating coinage.

6. Joshua062000

Joshua062000 New Member

7. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

As for the comments about the initial post being off-topic, well, it has its own thread now. ;)

8. Joshua062000

Joshua062000 New Member

Thanks for the assistance.
    My seller bought the coin for R 2500.00 in March and I got it for R 100.00 in May 2016. (All via BoB.co.za)
    I support the view of afantiques

9. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

How can we be sure it's a fake? The slight off center design is too slight for me to pick up. Anything else? It's not granular or mushy in details, so I'm having trouble here. I wouldn't pay more than 25 for something raw like that. In fact, I did but a similar coin the other week, but it's not a key date. I'll post it tomorrow.

Draft saved Draft deleted